1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vice on Lisa Saxon, one of the women who changed sportswriting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Saxon, one of the first female baseball beat writers, opens up about what it was like. Worth your time.

Side note: Reggie Jackson remains one of the biggest assholes in sports history.

https://sports.vice.com/article/lisa-saxon-the-woman-who-helped-change-sports-writing-forever

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's a great read.

I don't agree with her not voting for him for the HOF, but that's her right as a voter. Lord knows plenty of men with HOF votes have done the same thing to players they didn't like.

I only covered (helped cover) baseball briefly and I always got the sense players are bigger assholes than in other sports.

It sounds like Jackson belongs on the list with Jim Rice, Dave Parker, Albert Belle, Dave Kingman and other legendary assholes.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Another side note: There's a great Vin Scully story in there.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nice read. I'd like to have seen more people interviewed ... fellow beat writers, pr people, etc. Seems like just Saxon POV with one quote from Fornoff. As a side, I'm always wary of people recounting conversations years later. They tend to be glorified versions of the truth. Cringed at the misspelling of "barer."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The story cried out for comment from Reggie, or at least "Jackson could not be reached for comment."

It was a nice story. My one quibble with these stories is that they focus on the athletes who treated women terribly, but they don't mention how other writers behaved. I wonder if she caught a good crew or if she faced a lot in the press box too. I'd put a lot of money on the latter.

I mean, when you get right down to it, Reggie was only 3 percent more of a dick to her than he was to anybody else.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Gene Mauch eventually came around to Lisa.
    I had only covered a few Angels games over the years, but I was assigned to cover the Sunday game before the All-Star break. Our regular beat guy was given the day off, but he asked me to get some general quotes from Mauch regarding the first half that he could use for his midseason report.
    Well, traffic issues delayed my arrival to Angel Stadium. I missed the pregame stuff ... no big deal, since it was a Sunday day game I could get what I needed afterward. So, after the game, I got the usual postgame stuff and waited for all of those question to be asked. When everybody was done, I asked Mauch a general question about the first half. He got up and started walking out of his office, turned around and said, "I went through all that before the game. Just get the quotes from Lisa, she's the best writer in here anyway."

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

As a story of what Lisa (longtime peer) accomplished in the specific and general picture, that was tremendous. As a "story," though, it's just OK, long without being especially well written or framed.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I find Vice pieces to be often under reported. But I appreciated the history.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My first thought as well. You gotta at least try. And if he declined comment, you have to include it in the story.

I loved the Reggie stuff, but the story needed some other voices.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It appears to me that George Hendrick is one cool sonofabitch.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I thought I had read somewhere that Hendrick had a reputation for being a dick, but all I can do is stand and applaud after reading that story.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hendrick also reportedly found out that Donnie Moore was beating his wife and confronted him on day in the locker room and said, "You wanna' hit someone?"

Draft saved Draft deleted