1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VHZero's Greatest Songs of the 1980s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Nov 2, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, that brings back memories.

Saigon Kick had the last gasp of the hair metal era with "Love Is On The Way." that was a pretty good song, but "What You Say" was 10x better.

Some more random tapes I "borrowed" from my sister after she went to the dark side (i.e. country): House of Lords and your favorite, Firehouse.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think Firehouse was not left behind.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I once saw one of the members of Firehouse walking through the lobby of Bally's in Vegas.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap...I jus tput on the Classic because it's re-airing this. And the mere INTRO provided enough highi camp comedy for days: Mike Reno trying to sing "Working For The Weekend" in between wheezes...Bonnie Tyler BRAGGING about her botox injections...Riki fuckin Rachtman, the all-time poser bandwagon jumper, trying to look retro cool with the same Cheap Trick shirt I'm wearing under this very polo shirt...and the fat bald dork from A Flock Of Seagulls telling us he's sick of singing "I Ran." OK then douchebag. Try singing this: "Would you like fries with that?" Nobody wants to hear your other shit.

And holyi moley, the ladies from Bananarama aged WELL. And Rick Springfield is nearly 60?! What the fuck!!

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I did see Rachtman wearing that shirt, and I think one of the Bananarama ladies resurfaces later to discuss the hero of 80s music -- Andrew Ridgeley.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn Yankees' High Enough is playing right now on Yahoo music, and that followed Seventeen by Winger. Someone must have snuck in while I was at work and reprogrammed my radio station.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

My God Susanna Hoffs is still murdering kittens.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And Nina Blackwood is bringing them back to life. Good God. I didn't think she had far to sink in 1987...but I was wrong. Very wrong. *shudder*

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fast-paced life took a toll quick on her, for sure. I actually watched Nos. 100-41 with the fiancee last night, just because nothing else was on. (Bulls-Heat never did out to be much of a game.) I'm very curious to see whether some of our top 10 picks turn out to be true.

10. "Every Breath You Take" is the 43rd best song of the decade. On an earlier show, wasn't it like the 15th best song of all time?
    Does anybody on this channel know anything that happened longer than 15 minutes ago. And who are these "writers" and "comedians" functioning as talking heads and using "like" as a punctuation mark more thna my middle-schooler does? Bring back Chuck D and Rollins.
    And get off my lawn, you kids!

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Rollins rules. And while the music wasn't video friendly, the Blasters were a great '80s band.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't they sing One Bad Stud on the Streets of Fire soundtrack?

The most criminally overlooked soundtrack of the '80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted