1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VHS, where have you gone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, May 11, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Still have a bunch of VHS tapes. Mrs. Scicluna tried to toss them once, but I had a fit. I later pointed out to her that she nearly tossed our wedding video out with the other tapes. That settled her down.

I still have a tape of the '86 Mets World Series championship retrospective. It's the one that has these music video montages of Lenny Dykstra/Wally Backman (To Duran Duran's Wild Boys), Keith Hernandez/Gary Carter (Bob Seger's Like a Rock) and a highlight clip to "You Belong to the City."

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

VHS tapes? Hah. I'll see you 100 of them, and raise you these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But since I still own the house I grew up in, I guess the "moving" part doesn't apply. Never mind...

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Still got tons of VHS here (we have a VCR hooked up upstairs). I have every Super Bowl since 49ers - Bengals II, the final games of each of the Blue Jays' World Series's, Canada-USA gold-medal final from Salt Lake City and hundreds of championship fights like Hagler-Hearns, the Ali-Frazier trilogy, Ali-Foreman and both Leonard-Hearns fights.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Once I gave up the six boxes of comics and 500-plus LPs it was easy to just toss stuff. Yeah, I gave up $20k worth of stuff for about $2k. Damn.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Before any of you throw out any of those old games on VHS p.m. what you have. I have a friend that collects old games and fights on VHS.
    He might be interested in some of it.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I"ve got stuff on VHS (some courtesy of my friend, some courtesy of the YES Network Classic Yankees telecasts) that every Yankees fan should have:
    - Games 3&4 of the 1978 World Series
    - the Bucky Dent home run game
    - Guidry's 18 strikeout game

I think I might have the '76 Chambliss home run game as well
    and one or two other Yankees post-season games from 77-78

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In my last move, my wife finally shamed me into tossing most of my VHS. It was physically painful, considering how much I'd watched some of them. I think I was on my third copy of "Raising Arizona."

But I managed to escape with about 20 years of MLB All-Star games and the entire run of the original broadcasts of "Twin Peaks." I have the box set and all, but I can't bear to toss those. You never know when you'll want to see commercials for the Chevy Citation.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've got 19 James Bond original flicks on VHS... after looking at what they would go for on ebay, I might as well turn them into doorstops.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

This topic just came up at casa Legume today. My daughter is taking some cable classes this summer and we had to set up a system to get that done. We don't currently have cable, so we will be getting the cheapest thing they offer with the classroom channels. We dug up and old 13 inch TV, rotary channel dials, and we will feed one cable into our extra bedroom. We hooked an old VCR to that thing and voila! We set the thing up to tape the classes, she watches them when she can. These VCR's are a miracle I tell ya.

First thing the child asks when we get it all set up? "Why can't I just TiVo it"? Kids today, I tell ya.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Y'all think Spnited has the majors' first no-hitter on tape, from July 15, 1876?

No way. He covered it. :D

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

David Cone threw his on my birthday. We have something in common, I guess.

I have a couple of milk crates filled with old record albums from the late 70s and into the 80s sitting in storage.

I also have my original Commodore Vic 20 and my Commodore 64, along with a ton of other useless items.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just threw away a bunch of video tapes a couple weeks ago -- after I moved into a new place. The two people helping me move said, "You know, Mike moves more garbage than anyone else I've ever known." I just have a tough time getting rid of things.

I used to go through my books, media guides and notes every month or so and clean house, but not for about a year.

I've still got Clerks, Kingpin, 311's first video and a couple Mets tapes in my closet. But some of them won't make the cut the next time I move.

Draft saved Draft deleted