1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VH-1: Dice man reborn?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Did anybody catch the Andrew Dice Clay resurrection attempt on VH-1 last night?
    This guy is going nowhere fast. His material sucks. But what he lacks in humor and comedic ability he 's makes up for in the fact that he's rude, self-absorbed and pretty much a jackoff.

Best part of the show was his divorce lawyer. I hate lawyers, but I freakin' love that guy!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I enjoy the show... I kind of dispute that he's coming out of retirement or anything like that since the guy has been headlining in Vegas for the last decade and making millions doing it...

I saw him live in Vegas a few years back as part of a bachelor party for one of my college friends... The only good part about seeing him in concert was that Jim Norton opened the show...

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

His new material isn't very funny, so that's a problem right there. What I'm really struck by is how much of an idiot/asshole the guy is. In no way is he sympathetic. The show is an easy way to kill 30 minutes, but I'm rooting hard against him.

4. Rambler

Rambler Member

It's like watching a carwreck in slow motion. Hard not to root against him.

For some reason I like shows like this--the Bonaduce and Sizemore shows were good.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could never find the Sizemore show... I heard it was great...

The reason I like this show (so far) is because they're not manufacturing things for him to do. This seems to be a decent window into what his life is like these days...

What I find most interesting about Dice and I'll be curious how much they get into this on the show, he has primary custody of his two boys because the mom is really fucked up...

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Did anyone find his material funny 10 or 15 years ago?

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! you have to be "really" fucked up for that jackoff to win a custody battle.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Being as how the premiere was a week ago . . .D_B:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1051278/

I was a big fan in my youth. His new material simply isn't very good. His persona is all wrong now, and he completely lacks the confidence on stage. There are new comedians doing what he used to do, and he's just not "cool" anymore. But it was amusing to see nobody (oh, wait . . . his name was Charlamange tha blah blah whothefuck) try to taunt him on a radio show.

I am rooting for the show to continue as it is entertaining, but I don't feel a need to be for or against Dice. As said above, he's made millions playing Vegas in recent years, and this reality show may well get enough publicity to put him in an arena or two if it lasts long enough. So he's doing just fine.

Hell, if the show lasts long enough, maybe they'll re-release his albums from when he was funny on CD. Good enough for me.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I like Dice when he hit big in 1990. He along with NWA and 2 Live Crew really pushed the envelop and gave the finga to the establishment. But, his problem is gangsta rap, Chris Rock and a generation of "bad boys" has made his act seem old - like his grey sideburns.

Plus, Dice is a scaredy-cat.

http://www.foundrymusic.com/opieanthony/displayheadline.cfm/id/11290/div/opieanthony/headline/Opie_and_Anthony_Confront_Andrew_Dice_Clay_LIVE_on_The_Brother_Wease_Radio_Show___Audio_Online.html

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait, Dice is headlining Vegas?! Get out. Then what's he doing a reality show for? He can't need the money or the exposure.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hickory, Dickory dock
    This show sucks my .... whoa!

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, Rick Rubin had a quote, something to the effect of don't feel sorry for Dice, he still makes good money in Vegas.

His shows online, ticketmaster charges upwards of 60 bucks a pop.

But he genuinely thinks he can play the big venues, even though few comedians play arenas, and none play stadiums. Hell, the only time he sniffed such a crowd was when he did 15 minutes before Guns 'n' Roses on the Metallica/Guns tour at the Rose Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted