1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veterans' Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 10, 2006.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Saturday is Veterans' Day.
    My maternal grandfather was a medic in Europe during World War II. My father was in the Navy before Vietnam heated up; his enlistment was up, but some of his shipmates with more time left in, had their tours extended.
    My most vivid memory of Veterans' Day is from 1999, on the Mall in Washington, D.C. I didn't even know it was Veterans' Day, but after leaving a tour of Van Gogh's works at the national gallery of art, I and an ex walked down to the the Wall. Veterans were everywhere, dressed in their old military jackets, telling stories, embracing, crying. Moving, emotional, powerful. Tracing with my fingers the names on the wall, I had to choke back tears myself without even knowing any of them.
    I think no rational person embraces war, no matter their ideology. And I hope this thread doesn't dissolve into the political rants that so many of them on this site do.
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got a whole family of vets, and this week was always special to us.

Nov. 9 is my late grandfather's birthday (he fought at Guadalcanal in WWII), Nov. 10 is the birthday of the Marine Corps (with whom he served, and the day he held "the real day of celebration" he always said with a wink :)), and Nov. 11, of course, is the national Veterans' Day.

Stealing this history from Leathernecks.com:

Semper Fi, Papa.
  3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Veterans Department is asking vets to wear their medals/ribbons on Vets Day. If I see someone wearing them that day, I'm going to make a special point to thank them.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more. And, in fact, I'd like to say thank you right here and now to anyone on this board who has served. Even if they hate me for my political leanings, I thank them.
  5. old_tony

Also, before today is over, it is still the birthdate of the Marine Corps. Happy birthday USMC.

And since we're at it, today is also the anniversary of Kate Smith's first performance of "God Bless America" in 1939. Here's to you, Kate, on that great stage in the sky.
  6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

What will John Kerry wear? Didn't he throw his away in protest because he didn't want to be lumped in with the rapists and murderers and disgusting people he stood beside as he tossed his grenade - of course not far enough so he ended up giving himself some shrapnel in the arse.
  7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for checking in, fucktard.
  8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

But on a serious note:

God Bless all the men and women who have served, are currently serving or will someday serve. And God Bless their family and friends who will be without a father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, ect.

Even Kerry, my Junior Senator from Massachusetts deserves thanks, and while I like to joke about his loony comments and unfunny jokes, I respect that he had enough gumption to do his service for his country instead of running to Canada, Europe or hiding in daddy Bush's basement.
  9. I have my father's personal logs from his time at sea during WWII - two years of convoy duty in the north Atlantic and then three on a destroyer in the Pacific and one as a port director in Japan during the Occupation. In one of the early ones is this entry:

0830: Submarine sighted.
    0845: Sub alert stand down.

I can't imagine what those 15 minutes were like.
    Bless 'em all.
  10. old_tony

If he's still among us, Fenian, I thank him. If he's not, I'm sorry and I still thank him. You're right. I couldn't begin to imagine what those 15 minutes were like.
  11. Lost to Alzheimer's in '89. But thanks.
  12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I realize most people here probably see the front page of cnn.com pretty regularly, but just in case you don't, this is a nice rememberance of a fallen soldier.

Draft saved Draft deleted