1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veterans Committee's HOF slate: is Andruw Jones the new Dick Allen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If playing for multiple teams meant anything, there wouldn't be the debate about "what hat will he wear?" It's a different era for player movement.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There is no debate about what hat a Hall of Famer will be shown wearing on his plaque. The Hall took that over to avoid the scenario in which, for example, Wade Boggs was going to wear a Tampa Bay cap. Now it's a decree.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Of course there's debate about it. Do you think everyone agrees with the Hall's decision?

4. Joe Williams

What is our current ragingest debate, regarding plaque cap? Winfield?

If it really was a problem, they could portray the toughest calls a la Mel Ott:

[​IMG]

5. Smasher_Sloan

I don't know if it's been a "raging debate" with anyone, but it's at least been a point of discussion with Gossage, Fisk, Carter, Molitor, Eckersley and Boggs in recent years.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Might come up again with Rickey Henderson, though it shouldn't.

7. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Well, of course, Henderson will go in as an LA Dodger, which is as it should be.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'd rather have Curtis Granderson than Edmonds in CF.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed. :)

10. Joe Williams

Still, I can't think of one that's really tough. The first team that pops into your head for each guy, I'm guessing, is pretty much the same for 8-9 out of 10 baseball fans:

Gossage = Yankees
    Fisk = Red Sox
    Carter = Expos
    Molitor = Brewers
    Eckersley = Athletics
    Boggs = Red Sox
    And when the time comes, Rickey Henderson = Athletics

Might not be the team that a guy played the most games for, but it's usually pretty clear what team a guy became a Hall of Fame talent with. Clemens would be tricky, I suppose. And a few of the more modern relocating greats. By and large, though, trust your gut reaction, IMHO.

11. Smasher_Sloan

The original point was whether playing for multiple teams affects a player's Hall worthiness. It doesn't.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Clemens is easy - Red Sox.

Draft saved Draft deleted