1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veterans Committee's HOF slate: is Andruw Jones the new Dick Allen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, Sep 18, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Andruw Jones is like Dick Allen? Please. Compare their OPS+. From 1964-74, Allen's low OPS+ was 145. Jones' career-best OPS+ is 136.

Allen was a much better offensive player than Jones ever was or will be.

One of the reasons Allen isn't - or wasn't - talked about is because he didn't exactly have a warm and fuzzy personality.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you're casting him as an Eddie Murray-styled churl, that's not correct.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

What I meant is he wasn't a Kirby Puckett type - gabbing it up with the media and always with a smile on his face. The BR bullpen write-up on Allen describes him this way:
    "Allen's image was both one of rebellion against a conservative, white power structure, and also one of self-centered pigheadedness. While he was undeniably a truly great hitter, he was also a player whom many baseball executives and managers did not want on their team because of the controversies that continually surrounded him."

4. Smasher_Sloan

Hell, he started 40 years ago. Wearing an afro and not wanting to be called "Richie" were considered "militant."

That BR Bullpen (whatever that is) thing seems to be trying to portray him as Eldridge Cleaver. One of the big issues Allen had with the Phillies was his drinking. Excessive boozing also led to problems for white players in the "conservative, white power structure."

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Richie was one of my favorite ballplayers. Dick was the other.

He should be in for the if-horses-can't-eat-it quote. In his prime he was better than some who made it. Can see how he'd be lept out, though.

Hodges seems like an automatic one. Santo I'd vote for. I always liked Vada Pinson, but zero shot.

Trammell/Whittaker is an interesting proposition--if one goes in you'd think that the other should, which probably hurts both of them. The ultimate split ballot, both or neither with no in-between.

YD&OHS, etc

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why was Gil Hodges not inducted years ago? Are the writers that stupid?

I'm sorry, that was a dumb question, wasn't it?

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Ah, Gil Hodges, a fine graduate of Saint Joseph's College. Where many fine men and women have graduated from.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Hodges was a very good player. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for great ones.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nothing funny about it. For those of us who saw Devo in his prime, he was without peer.

And we'll never forget how he was robbed of a triple play in the 1992 World Series.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He was robbed on that play, I'll give you that. :D

But you're nuts -- and so is DC -- if you think any center fielder in the last 50 years compares favorably to Andruw Jones in his prime defensively. Not Torii, not Devon, not Cameron, not Edmonds, not anybody.

1. Mays.
    2. Speaker.
    3. Jones.

All-time. No questions asked.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Buck, I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

No, that was not a buckdubsbait.

It's how I feel. No one who was benched at least a handful of times for loafing in the field can be considered the second- or third-best defensive player of all-time at any position.

So I guess we agree to disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted