1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veterans Committee's HOF slate: is Andruw Jones the new Dick Allen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, Sep 18, 2008.

1. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Apologies if this is a d_b, but I just read Posnanski's lengthy and interesting discussion of the 10-candidate Veterans Committee ballot for the HOF here (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/09/17/the-finalists/), and I was fascinated by the discussion of Dick Allen. Seriously, look at the guy's stats. http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/allendi01.shtml
    Is Andruw Jones the new Dick Allen? If Jones is for all intents and purposes done, and can't regain his form, are we still talking about his career in 35 years?

And what do people think about the rest of the slate?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hodges should be in.

I can't imagine voting for anyone else on that list.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We're not going to talk about Andruw Jones 10, 20 or 30 years down the line. He was a good, sometimes very good, player. But he was never amongst the dominant players of his generation.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is long past time the best first baseman of his era and the most important player on the Dodgers of the 50s was put into the Hall.
    Since the veterans committee also can consider managerial carreers, there's that 1969 Mets thing working in his favor as well.
    That Gil Hodges is not yet in the Hall of Fame is an absolute travesty.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll agree with this (full disclosure: Braves fan here. Not sure whether that helps or hurts my view of AJ.) The difference between Jones and Allen is the defensive factor. Jones was the best defensive CF in the game for several years, and top 3 all-time at his peak. And I only say top 3 because it sounds better and rounder than top 2. In my mind (again, Braves fan) the only one better than AJ at his peak was Mays.

That said, he's not Hall material. Fell off the cliff way, way too fast for that.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Devon White was a better defensive center fielder than Jones.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Andruw Jones isn't close. Nice player, but if players like Alan Trammell and Jack Morris aren't going to get in, why should a player like Jones?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Andruw Jones will be on the ballot for one year, will not get the 5% needed to stay on the ballot.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And he'll eat everyone who doesn't vote for him.

Take cover, folks.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So was Jim Edmonds. None are going to Cooperstown.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If a horse don't eat it ... never mind.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Edmonds may be better today, but he doesn't touch Jones in his prime. Defensively, I'd take Torii Hunter and Mike Cameron over Edmonds.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I'd prefer Sizemore, too, and maybe Beltran.

Draft saved Draft deleted