1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very ugly day at CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Both excellent guys with strong reputations in the industry. Does CBS even have a plan for its online product? It really sucks at this point.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not 20+ years (that would put him at 1993), I'd say more like around 11 or 12 years. Still a long time, obviously.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Down to 1 columnist on baseball (Jon Heyman)
    http://www.cbssports.com/writers/columns

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I figure the plan revolves around not burning through money.

I so wish these guys had their jobs still. But I don't see how any of these free, national Web sites really survive at the extent they have. They're money pits.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Quite possibly.

With a million different internet sites (newspapers, broadcast, stand alones, etc.) there is just a glut of information beyond what any audience needs. How many different writers or columnists does one really want to read about the Aaron Hernandez or Alex Rodriguez situations?

A generation ago, you had your local newspaper and maybe one or two magazines (Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, etc.). Now, regardless of whether you live in downtown New York or out in Podunk, with a few clicks you can read any of an endless number of sites and stories about anything under the sun. It's all become redundant.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

More "fantasy" columnists than baseball columnists.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I'm friends with a couple of the guys who handle fantasy columnist jobs at some of these major sites and some of them were guys who could barely get past preps at major papers. They found their niche, that's for sure... More power to them...

8. JR119

JR119 Member

And now anybody with a phone, who knows how to (be a) Twit, is a journalist.

It's a sad, sad state of how this business has evolved.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Stick around. It gets worse.

10. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Or, rather, devolved.

11. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Trust me. Scott Miller was at $100K-plus.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, Scott, I belive you.

Draft saved Draft deleted