1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very solid post-game Manning portrait.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe the planet where they watched Ben Bradlee (movie version), after Woodstein left a crack for the White House to exploit, tell a room full of Washington Post editors: "Fuck it. Let's stand by the boys" -- but in private not hesitate to angrily hold their feet to the fire. I'd guess the aliens above would rather Manning be more like that, choosing not to state what is obvious and instead having his teammates' backs in return for all the times they've help make it possible for him to have so much success.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Most NFL quarterbacks locker in the same area of the locker room. Manning's locker is in the middle of the offensive line.

Next time you run into a Colts O-Lineman, ask him to show you some of the gifts Manning has bought him.

Oh, and remember the whole Mike Vanderjagt "idiot kicker" thing? Vanderjagt was indeed criticizing Manning -- for not showing ENOUGH emotion.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What you said, I already knew.

Don't confuse me with someone who is bashing Manning. I like him. I wasn't judging him. I was trying to answer the question of the previous poster, taking a guess as to why others posted what they did.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

To be fair, my planet.

Nearly all of the QBs I've covered -- in pro and college -- took the bulk of the responsibility even if the protection was obviously subpar.

Almost always pointed to ways THEY needed to be better at their jobs to help out the line.

Just saying.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"We had some protection problems."

On my planet "we" = "I and they".

And what else could he legitimately do to help his OL?

Run a no-huddle offense to keep the defense tired and unable to substitute? Did that.

Call the play at the line to put the offense (and the OL) in the best position to handle the defense on the field? Did that.

Get rid of the ball quickly? Does that. Use all his receivers? Does that.

You basically want an answer that is vague and/or evasive and/or nonsense.

And then you'll rip him for vague, evasive and nonsense answers.

Must be great where the game is rigged and you get to rip the player no matter what he says.

Sometimes a Jackie Smith will drop the ball. Sometimes it really is that simple.

And if someone asks, "What happened on that pass to the end zone?", you pretty much need to answer, "Jackie Smith dropped the ball." Jackie knows what happened. Staubach saying, "Well, I guess I could have made the ball a little more catchable" isn't going to stop the bus from hitting Jackie, because he's already been hit. If anything, it's patronizing.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Manning picked up another huge dinner tab at the Super Bowl for about 2 dozen of his cohorts on offense. Suffice it to say his teammates hold him in the highest regard, and not just for the free eats.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Surely they don't get anything better than Isotoner gloves.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004766/1/index.htm

"What to get for my O-linemen . . . Hey, I know! I'll get some comped gloves from my only national endorsement!"

Marino = prick.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The piece by Frias was excellent, and brief.
    Really good writing on deadline or not, but certainly if on deadline.
    The pic atop the story was phenomenal, to say the least. Loved that one by Mr. Eyestone.
    Peyton's not an attention-whore and he's indeed approached for all these commercials, etc.
    The family dropped the ball only once that I've seen - when Archie grandstanded to keep Eli out of San Diego.
    I've met Archie and Eli, and covered many things involving the family for years.
    They are classy and generous.
    Brees has done a lot in his high school, college and pro career. He's generous, too.
    I still say Manning and Montana are the best I ever saw at the position.
    With Brees, over the past four years, right there with them.

9. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

I'm just curious, since Favre gets so much grief on this board ...is he guilty of this too?

Draft saved Draft deleted