1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very solid post-game Manning portrait.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 8, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At least you labeled it as a guess.

Usually off-the-charts stupid statements are simply presented as fact.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I love you all too. You've all been around professional athletes. Do you really think the Colts appreciate being known as Peyton and the other 44? Peyton feeds that, every Sunday of every season and with every commercial he makes.

Just because they're rich doesn't mean they have to like the guy.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

he ain't the first nor the last superstar with endorsements up the wazoo. more than many or most? sure, maybe. so the eff what?

he'as as close to a one-man franchise as any superstar in nfl history. polian, the coaches AND his teammates know it and understand it resent it? like all athletes, sure, they have HUGE egos. every darn one of 'em.

so the heck what? as noted earlier, to a player they know he's their meal ticket. they might be jealous but certainly not resentful. there's a HUGE difference. you really believe a single colt doesn't believe peyton DESERVES all the credit he gets?

you could not be more wrong.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Colts appreciate not being 6-10, which is what they would be without Manning. But they like the guy anyway.

I know you've been grinding the Peyton axe for years, but like shockey said, you're just wrong.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Curt Schilling put teams on his back and won two World Series, won a third as a complementary part and carried the Phillies to one of the most unlikeliest pennants in memory. And most of his teammates couldn't stand him four out of every five days. So spare me the whole "Peyton leads the colts to victory so everyone likes him" jazz.

What Peyton does--the pouting, the long faces and the eyerolls on the bench, the "look at me" gyrations every play and the "it's never my fault" vibe he always gives off--is just as bad if not worse than Schilling's actions. At least Schilling had the excuse of being 26 when he buried his face in a towel as Mitch Williams coughed up the 1993 World Series. Peyton is 33 and still acting like a baby on the sidelines every week. I find it impossible to believe that doesn't wear on the rest of the guys, results be damned.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Have you ever spoken to Manning or anybody who knows him? Nothing about him is an act. You really think he is up there gyrating at the line of scrimmage for the television cameras?

There's a great anecdote in a story Peter King did for SI earlier this season about Manning texting Donald Brown less than 24 hours after he was drafted, before they'd even met, telling him to be at the practice bubble at 8:30 a.m. the following day already warmed up.

Dude wants to win. That's it. He's fucking intense. It's why he's so great. He makes his offensive line look great because he never takes sacks. He makes his wide receivers look great because he could throw a football through a basketball hoop at 30 yards if it was single covered. I'm sure it gets frustrating being him, since very few people can do their jobs as well as he does. And I'm sure it can get frustrating playing with him for the same reason.

But if you think there is a faction of Colts players who resent Manning, your fooling yourself. Yeah, he's got autonomy. But they see what he does with it - on a 4th-and-short play in which they try to draw the Saints offsides, he checks into a quick slant and hits Reggie Wayne for a first down.

Forget the fact that anybody who has ever met Manning will tell you he's a cool dude. The NFL is a place where the Vikings' locker room went from, according to Adam Schefter, near mutiny in August after the signing of Brett Favre to Percy Harvin, Jared Allen and Bryant McKinnie dressing up in Wrangler jeans in January for an ESPN skit and Sidney Rice saying Favre can take as much time as he needs to decide to return, just as long as he does return.

After the decade that Manning has put together, you really think his teammates can't look past the facial grimaces and commercials to realize how lucky they are to be playing with the greatest QB in league history?

On another note. . .

Tremendous job by Frias. Pieces like this seem to be undervalued. There was no news broken, no exclusive interview, no brash opinion: Just an impeccably written deadline sidebar. Well reported. Well observed. Well written.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Greatest QB in league history? I thought we had a moratorium on that after Sunday.

8. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Peyton and the other 44? We make it that way, you do forget, it is our job to promote the most interesting story. With the Colts, Peyton is that.

Even saying that, there's more than a few notable names that pop into mind when I think of the Colts: Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dallas Clark, Robert Mathis, that other DE we heard about for two weeks prior to the Super Bowl :p.

This is not a one-man show, this team is fueled by one man. Without him, would many of us have ever heard of Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon?

Peyton Manning is not an attention whore, he is simply a whore to his craft. While the NFL, various corporations, and the media promote him as the poster boy that he is, Collie, Garcon and the other might-have-been nobodies no doubt view him as their unquestioned leader, and one they are damn glad to have.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Williams was the goat, it's true, but let's face facts - the Phillies were not going to win the 1993 World Series anyway. :D

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice story.

As for Manning...does anyone remember a certain #13 in Miami who in his own mind never threw an interception. Marino always came to the sideline screaming at someone else when things went south...must have been a bunch of confused receivers on those teams -- they just couldn't run the correct routes :)

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Manning's done his underthebus-throwing, too . . . especially after
    one or more of his frequent misadvantures against the Bolts.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"We had some protection problems."

A fact that was obvious to any person watching the game, and a QB who states this obvious fact --- in answer to a question --- is automatcally throwing his teammates under the bus?

What the fuck planet are some of you from?

Draft saved Draft deleted