1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very solid post-game Manning portrait.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 8, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Carlos Frias sums up what it's like to fall short

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/peyton-manning-alone-at-the-top-alone-at-220993.html

2. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

I like it. A lot. Especially this:

Peyton Manning, the weight of a franchise always squarely on his shoulders, sat up front where everyone could see him riding shotgun with defeat.

Fantastic ending.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love stuff like that, the fly on the wall stuff. Though I figure he gets empty lockers on either side of him because he's the QB.

I wonder though if somewhere down the line we'll learn that Peyton wasn't as beloved by teammates as it would seem.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Phenomenal story.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Really enjoyable.

Someone on another thread mentioned pieces that tried too hard. I think this one qualifies in this section:

Saints defensive back Darren Sharper made eye contact with Manning and hugged him, patted him on the butt.

"Congratulations, man. You made it this far," Sharper told him.

Never have consoling words cut so deeply.

Never? Really? In all of history? Never?

That's the kind of thing you write on deadline and wish you had to do over again. It didn't have to be that forced, that part. Otherwise, terrific piece.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Very insightful. The quality of the reporting is top notch.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I add two quibbles from one paragraph in an otherwise solid piece:

After the conference that seemed to have had gone on far too long, team officials mercifully ushered him out the back door into the chilly night. As he headed toward the Colts' team buses lined up to leave, he watched as cheering, smiling, chanting Saints players made their way toward the interview area, feeling no chill and no pain for the warmth of victory.

1. We don't need to be encouraging leagues or teams to shut down interview opportunities by suggesting that they "had gone on far too long" or that there is anything merciful about pulling an athlete away from reporters. Too long for this writer's needs or sense of propriety, maybe, but possibly not for many other journalists' needs.

2. Enough with the "chilly" and "warmth" stuff. A writer from Palm Beach might consider that a chilly night, but the Colts of Indianapolis might not have. Just reads like a reach for scene-as-emotion. And there was this from the Miami Herald Monday:

BY DOUGLAS HANKS
    dhanks@MiamiHerald.com
    This time, the Super Bowl weather conspired in South Florida's favor. As the Mid-Atlantic dug out from a historic blizzard, a television audience expected to top 100 million people saw a far different climate as a mild, cloudless evening greeted football's biggest game.

Better to report the temperature (at least include it) and let readers determine whether that's chilly or not.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that's already out. His first time at the SB, he rankled others on the team with his insistance that they stay at the hotel and prepare at the last minute. I heard and read accounts that he was more relaxed this time. Now, one could argue that the results speak for themselves and I wonder, if he had it to do over again, he'd ratchet up the intensity in 2010 the way he did in 2007. His orientation for details is what makes him the player he is, but it's a delicate tap-dance to balance that with people skills.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My guess is nobody can stand Peyton. He's an attention whore and he's less than supportive of his teammates on the field.

I think we'd know exactly what people thought of him if he wasn't fortunate enough to play in one of the league's smallest markets.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's their freakin' meal ticket. They love him. If Reggie Wayne gets mad when Peyton makes faces at him, he probably thinks about his bank balance and portfolio and decides to forgive the guy who made him rich.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

word. for. effin'. word. 8) 8) 8)
    amazing what peyton haters will come up with. keep tryin', boys and girls. ::) ;) :eek:

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Simply untrue.

The guy hangs his head after a bad loss and is hard on teammates who don't do their jobs--would you rather have a drone who just goes through the motions and only gets excited on payday?

Draft saved Draft deleted