1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very intrigued by this, re: PD reporter finding Riley in Cleveland hotel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Which is the latest indictment of our sports media.

The Lakers beat the Celtics in a Game Seven for the title. Chicago won its first Stanley Cup in decades. The World Cup is going on, and will be won by a team that hasn't won it in at least two decades.

But LeBron James deciding where he's going to take his "Global BRAND!!!!!!" is the biggest story of the summer. Just like the teams pursuing him, the media dutifully show up to kiss his ring and kiss his butt.

Yay.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Brett Favre's retirement decision will be the biggest story of the summer.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I completely disagree with this. Blue font? In terms of news that will have some staying power, Favre isn't even close. He'll either play for the Vikings or he won't. LeBron is currently choosing among no fewer than five teams. His choice will shift the balance of power of the entire NBA.

Oh, and this is good reporting. It's news that Riley had a face-to-face with LeBron at a hotel. How is it not? It's not news that the Heat is interested, the team's methods, however, is huge news. One national report yesterday said the Jazz met with Carlos Boozer in Miami, while the local guys said, no, Utah hasn't yet met with Boozer.

That's all news.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Speaking of posts that need a blue font . . .

I love how everyone is saying "LeBron's choice will shift the balance of power in the entire NBA!!!"

Really? Will his arrival suddenly make the Knicks or Nets powerful? Are the Cavs really that powerful right now? OK, from November to April they have been. If he goes to Chicago, that could shift the power there longterm. Maybe Miami, if they can also get a quality big man. But does whatever team he joins suddenly become the favorite for next year's title? Was Cleveland truly the favorite with him?

His decision will affect the league, mostly because a lot of other free agents are waiting for his decision before they make their own. But "shift the balance of power in the entire NBA"?

He'd better make sure he brings a big man who can help take a team to a title (and sorry, Joakim Noah doesn't count). Otherwise, the only thing that will have shifted is "King (of WHAT?) James" address.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember the days when something actually had to happen before it became "news." It's not just sports. It's everything. And I think I'll wait until LeBron wins a title before the shifting the balance of power stuff gets tossed around.
    I will say it's refreshing that there might actually be some significant movement. I don't know how the NBA has remained as popular as it has been with upward mobility being so rare. Since Stern was named commish 30 years ago there have been what 7 teams that have won titles? Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Heat, Bulls and Houston?

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I don't think it's unreasonable. Wherever LeBron goes will dictate the destination of other primo free agents. You're taking two or three of the best players in the league, most likely, taking them off of their current teams, out of their divisions, maybe their conferences, and putting them all in one place. It affects parity. How in the hell can you argue it's not the balance of the league.

Come now. Make the madness stop.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Miami, too. But that 2006 season was a total anomaly.

8. Piotr Rasputin

I've been saying the same thing since "LeBron Watch" began.

As I said, LeBron's presence won't automatically make a team the favorite. Even Chicago. He's got to bring the right teammate(s) with him.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And you could have. After all, you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Two things:

Do we know that Leon Rose was getting extra time re: LeBron? He probably has other clients, right? Maybe he was pitching Riley on some other players, which he wouldn't be able to do in the formal LBJ session. Maybe he has some guys who want to join the Big 3 in Miami for a minimum salary.

Also, was puzzled by the PD item's reference to "the far right corner" of the Ritz-Carlton lounge.

Oh yeah? Not from where the Heat contingent was sitting. Better stick a NW or SE on there if you're going to mention it at all, because "right" and "left" change every time you turn one way or other.

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I do love how Noah became so much better as soon as Chicago became a player in this. To me he's a rich man's Varejao.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like, he's considering the Clippers. Harry Potter doesn't have enough magic wands to right that ship, LeBron or no LeBron.

Draft saved Draft deleted