1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very intrigued by this, re: PD reporter finding Riley in Cleveland hotel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/07/lebron_james_miamis_pat_riley.html

Curious to your thoughts: Knew Riley was going to be there?

That writer's taken a bashing on this board (from me, too), but it seems like a pretty good find to me.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just think if Riley stayed at the Residence Inn.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Would have been a juicier story if it was a Police Dept report.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I saw Aaron Boone in the Hyatt downtown a day or so before he signed with the Indians. I should have wrote a story.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just clueless, but I don't see why that's much of a story. Riley was in town to make the Heat's pitch to James. It's no secret the Heat are a leading contender for James. Riley met with his agent a little ahead of schedule. Maybe they both had some free time and wanted to discuss some things in a more informal setting.
    It might lead to something down the road, and might even be a good germ for a story if James signs with the Heat. Just seems like right now that story is trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it probably is.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm staying at that Hyatt this weekend. If I see Chris Bosh and Rod Thorn sharing a sake in the hotel bar, YOU'LL be the first to know!

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Why is this a story? That's what reporters do. It's not all press conferences and awkward locker chats. (I've waited in a Ritz Carlton for Pat Riley myself. Good times.)

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Totally reasonable blog post. Kind of interesting. What else is there to say?

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

When LeBron decides which team he wants to play for, it will be the biggest sports story of the summer. Who he and his agent talk to and when are important.
    Plus it makes for great discussion. Cleveland needs LeBron more than LeBron needs Cleveland. The message board comments make that relatively clear.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Or the most tiresome.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

All the meetings and rumors will become tiresome. When he signs with a team, it will be the biggest story.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is as bad as the annual recruiting hype, where every athlete's "My trip went well" is blown out of proportion to those leaning on his every word.

Only saving grace is that LeBron won't be using the old hat trick when he announces his decision. At least I hope not.

Draft saved Draft deleted