1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Interesting Read on Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We have a Wegman's near our house and we've been in it once. God damn that place is youuuuuuuge. Just massive. We did our typical weekly grocery shopping and paid about $20 more than we usually spend.

For specific items, though, it's a great place. Place had a pizza joint, a deli, a sushi place, a little sitting area with flat-screen TVs.

I'd never do my weekly shopping there because of the price, but they have such a wide variety of shit, if there's something you can't find at your everyday grocery store, Wegman's will have it.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The prices at Wegman's for some things are a little high, but for other things, they're lower than any other store around.

The experience of shopping there is great. They have a zillion checkout lanes and the cashiers are fast.

For me, going to Wegman's is a haul, but I like doing it. I say I'm going on a field trip when I go there.

3. I shopped exclusively at TJ's for a couple of months a few years back. Mostly because of the quality I got for the cost. Then I realized a lot of the food I was buying there came from China. I think other people realized the same thing at about the same time ... TJ changed suppliers soon after. That got me going back.

I like a lot of their packaged food (their fruits and veggies, not so much), and their cereal prices are amazing. And their garlic naan, both the frozen and the nonfrozen kinds, make for a really good pizza crust.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The whole bean Diner Cafe coffee they sell is probably the best for the price that I have ever had in my life.

5. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

Shocked that Trader Joe's opened a store near me. No yuppies to be found, although there's a large university nearby (it's mostly a commuter school).

Anyway, I go about twice a month to pick up my supply of Trader Joe's Nut and Berry Blend granola cereal (the best!), Ritter dark chocolate and hazelnut, TJ's Jasmine Green Tea, etc. Not a big frozen food fan, but love the Paneer Tikka Masala. Don't like the produce and cheese, though. Don't eat meat, so can't comment on that.

Very glad they opened the store near me.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Trader Joe's is good. Wegmans is great. Whole Foods is pretentious and overpriced.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In response to economic conditions and public ridicule, the Whole Foods near my house has begun running weekly loss leaders in the meat and fish departments (their best element by far). One item per week is slashed in price to where it's actually cheap compared to regular supermarkets.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Moddy, get to SBUX and get a box of their Via instant coffee. It's fan-f'ing-tastic!

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's also about a dollar a cup. Trader Joe's was 3.49 a jar and I've been using it for two cups a day for three weeks now.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yes, but can you get Michelle Obama approved lobster there?

So, if you live in a place that doesn't have one, is making a stop at Trader's Joe worth it if you're visiting a place that does?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Before one opened in Richmond, we'd shop there on our trips to D.C. for cereal, coffee, some other non-perishables.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You can get these at Target too.

Draft saved Draft deleted