1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Interesting Read on Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are poor (and excessively crunchy) substitutes for H-E-B's Central Market. By far, the best thing about Texas.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Except this is a niche market.

I hate going to the new gigantic supermarkets (Sobey's, Metro), they're building now. It takes fifteen minutes just to find shit they're so big.

Wegman's is awesome. Makes you want to move to Buffalo.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At that point, did you feel like kicking ass and chewing bubble gum ... and you were you all out of bubble gum?

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Going to Publix is one of the many enjoyable things about visiting Florida.

I echo what JR says on the huge stores, the prices are better but the grimness of the experience is depressing.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If I could move one thing to my current locale, it'd be Wegman's. Having one in town was one of the great joys of where I went to school. And that's not a knock on the area, it speaks to just how awesome Wegman's is.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

We stop at Trader Joe's every time we are Richmond and sometimes make the hour drive just to shop there. The prices are great and the food is high quality. I really wish the rumors about one opening here were true, but I don't think they are. Going into the Trader Joe's is about the only time going grocery shopping with my wife doesn't drive me insane. Oh, and the maple cookies are awesome.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A fun read. I never thought the employees made that much.

And it sounds like a fun job. Like the kind of place that you would take pride in helping shoppers because it's done the right way.

Also, I buy a lot of my beer at Trader Joes. Well, I buy a lot of beer a lot of places, but the cheap and yet good beer got me in the door.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That was on this afternoon.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think you just got a Cheese Shop.

Check it out.

http://www.thecheeseshopva.com/Default.aspx

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are there still yuppies? I thought those died out in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I go to Trader Joe's every week. 3 miles from my house. Love it.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

The only sad thing about that article is that it pretty much said because of the distribution hubs the chances of ever getting a Trader Joes in Texas are between slim and none.

I've only been there a few times but I'm totally loving Trader Joes, I stop every time I'm in the area of one. I'm not a wine drinker but my wife tells me the two buck chuck is pretty good stuff, so is their beer, which I've consumed plenty of. I think Simpler Times is about the only canned beer I will drink.

Publix is a close second in my preference of grocery stores... another one I'll never see in Texas

Draft saved Draft deleted