1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Interesting Read on Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great business model and a pretty good story.

Can't speak about their products...they have 344 stores and not a single one in Canuckistan.

Hey guys, your market does not end at the 49th parallel. There are 35 million people up here, a quarter of whom live in SW Ontario. And our economy is doing fine, thanks very much.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pancake syrup is first-rate. So's the pancake mix. You keep your head and your shopper's thinking cap on, they're terrific stores.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some grocery stores get it right. Ask longtime Publix workers.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

WTF?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just a great store -- in our little corner of suburbia, we have three large grocery stores and a Trader Joe's. With the exception of meat and fresh fish, I do all of my shopping at Trader Joe's where I can. Great prices and much friendlier service -- which makes up for a lesser selection. Plus beer and wine at excellent prices.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Employee owned, right?

I liked Publix a lot when I was living in Florida.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The one I used to go to in north Phoenix wasn't too bad. Some yuppies, but a good mix of others.

I wonder how happy the employees are. There are some businesses that aren't just about making a buck, but do OK because they know employees, customers and vendors are all important.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone who says "Man cannot live on Trader Jose's Mildly Spiced Vegetable Burritos alone" is a liar.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm moving back to Florida and can't wait shop at Publix again. (You never appreciate good grocery stores until you live someplace that doesn't have them.)

Yeah, it's employee-owned. My brother has worked there for 15 years and has a ton of the private company stock and other benefits that would make most in the media biz cry.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love shopping at Trader Joe's. The prices are great and I always walk out of there feeling good about the experience and what I've bought. I get happy just thinking about going to Trader Joe's (and Wegman's, too).

As for the "yuppies," I live in the DC area, too, and the typical Whole Foods customer is MUCH worse, in my experience.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Grocery bidness is plenty competitive in southern Ontario. Making a splash up here would not be easy. I'd love to see a Wegman's in my neck of the woods.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think people understand how small these stores are. They are about 1/2 the square footage of the smallest A&P or IGA I ever stepped foot in as a kid. But you are there for 30 minutes, fill your cart and it always costs less than you think it will.

If anyone decided to open a butcher or a meat deli next to a Trader Joe's they would be very, very successful.

Draft saved Draft deleted