1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Interesting Read on Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At least to me. I may be weird. Lots of stuff about the business I didn't know. Including the pay rate for managers.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/20/news/companies/inside_trader_joes_full_version.fortune/index.htm

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice pay, but I'd need more than that to interact with those awful yuppies on a daily basis. Puke.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I read this article yesterday. I thought the article was interesting as well. But I'm weird too. There is just one small store here in Pittsburgh and it's not real convenient to where I live or work. But if I'm nearby, I will very often stop. I love their hummus.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Low-six-figures covers copious quantities of airline-sickness bags.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

Still not enough.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good stuff at a good price with good employees.

That is a good business model.

For some background...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69255/

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

One of the people who lost their jobs when my paper went down landed at a Trader Joe's for a few months. She really liked it -- of course, her personality synched up with the store culture perfectly, so that helped. Didn't realize salaries were so high even at that level (the full-time crew member numbers are a touch misleading, only in that most of the crew is PT, from what I understand).

The shoppers do seem somewhat cultic, though. One time there I put my sunglasses on and the bottles of Two Buck Chuck bore labels that read OBEY, and the ringing bell sound was replaced by a computerized voice repeating the word CONSUME. Now I can't find my sunglasses.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jeez . . . they're willing to pay for good employees.

What a concept.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The stores described in the story are nothing like the one near me. A cluttered, messy and dirty shitbox with limited fruits, vegetables and meat.

10. JackReacher

I will say....someone in the office brought in some cookies from there once, gingersnaps I think, and they were delicious.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think the "yuppie" think is way overrated (maybe not at Whole Foods). The one here is about 30 miles away so I don't go that often. When I do, the crowd is a nice mix. Drug the wife a couple of weeks ago, she was amazed at some of the prices. She thought it would be Whole Foods-esque. It is not, not by a long shot.

The meats are exceptionally reasonable and amazingly fresh. Their coffee is half the price and a better quality than the "specialty" coffee at my local store.

12. JackReacher

The yuppie thing is definitely not overrated in the DC area. Ugh.

The Whole Foods around here is about the same, but the meat coolers make me cised! Little expensive, though.

But on a yuppie scale from 1-10 (at least around here), I'd give Trader Joe's a solid 8 and Whole Foods an easy 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted