1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very good dogs lose Iditarod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two dogs on the team leading the race started fighting, their owner started yelling and the team basically said "You can't talk to us like that."

“I yelled at Joee and everybody heard Daddy yelling, which doesn’t happen," said the 39-year-old musher who placed second in last year’s Iditarod. “And then they wouldn’t go anymore, anywhere. So we camped here and we’ll see what happens.”

From lead to scratch: Girdwood musher Nic Petit is out of the 2019 Iditarod

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I read "To Build a Fire" by Jack London last night. In it, the unnamed character is so overcome by frostbite that when he clutches his dog and tries to strangle it -- so that he might gut it and stick his hands inside to get them warm -- he can't even move his fingers. He lets the dog loose and then it keeps its distance till he dies, then instinctually runs off to find a camp where someone else can light a fire to keep him warm. A damn fine short story, especially this time of year.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Man, that’s brutal.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

A cat would have eaten him.

CD Boogie likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds like the dogs want to be traded to Oakland.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Stories like that — where a few seemingly minor bad decisions end up become huge, lethal mistakes — always creep me out.

Jack London was a great writer.

CD Boogie likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Like Chris McCandless in "Into the Wild."

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No wonder the Lakers have sucked for the past month. They were actually playing in the Iditarod.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Still missing their Kobe Dog, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted