1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very elementary digital voice recorder question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

If you get one of the new Olympus models, the ones that say "stereo," can you hear it in both headphones? Because if I'm going to buy one, I want to make sure I understand what stereo means!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Stereophonic sound means the sound is recorded and played back using two independent audio channels. In music, it allows different instruments to be heard coming from different directions, the way you do in natural hearing. It's opposed to monophonic sound, in which the audio is produced via one channel and it is centered. You can hear either one through both headphones. The difference is in how you hear it.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Well all I know is that when I listen to a tape player the sound comes through both phones and when I listen to my Olympus VN-1000, it comes through one

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, don't know the recorder, but if it is typical, I'd guess you have a bad set of headphones or a bad recorder.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

If not, you can drop about $2 at Radio Shack for a stereo adapter.

I have a digital recorder, an Olympus, and I ALWAYS download the interviews to my computer and transcribe via the computer. I don't think I've ever plugged into the thing directly with earphones. Why would you do that?

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Really? Why wouldn't you? Just wondering - I'm just sick of not being able to hear anything.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm with passy... always download..

with the olympus software, i can slow it down, speed it up and find spots easier. i can also make it into a quick mp3 if someone wants to challenge a quote -- or if i want to share a particularly good quote

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I find that if I listen to the recorder through the software on the computer, it's easier to navigate and I can play it much louder. I have a Sony ICD-P110. I think it's great.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

I don't think you can download stuff my from my VN-120.

For those who can download and create mp3s, I think there is software for Windows users that will convert the audio files to text. I suspect, however, that it's a bit pricey and the text is probably like closed-captioning with different words being used in place of the ones that are misspoken.

Draft saved Draft deleted