1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Versus and NHL do 3-year extension

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 24, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sorry, no. Spike doesn't have rodeo. It could, however, have "Fox Passed On These Stupid People Fucking Themselves Up" as a lead-in.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed.

The NHL needs the WWL.

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Not that bad of a move, but yes, a highlight show and more back-to-back games. Also, more access. It's only since I switched from Dish Network to Direct TV that I get Versus.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The rumor, which is not mentioned in this piece but has been discussed ad nausem over on the Hockey's Future business boards (i.e., people who are way more geekish about the NHL and it's financial dealings than me), is that Versus is going to waive its right to cable exclusivity. That would allow ESPN to re-enter the mix as a broadcaster, something that's also been rumored for a few months.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Why would Versus do this?

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not sure. I scan that site because they have a group of relatively knowledgeable members about CBA and salary cap issues, and I came across a discussion of the cable situation.

From scanning their posts, it appears Versus' motivation would be to spread the popularity of the sport and therefore increase the viewing audience on its own network.

Link to the forum is here: http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124 . The posters over there know a ton more about these issues than I do.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

3 year extension...oh god :eek: :eek: :eek:

I feel for my friends States side...

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Not a DB, but horrible news.

Thank goodness for Yahoo's live feeds, as imperfect as they are.

*sigh*

I'm glad a majority of the Wild games are broadcast on FSN.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Stupid move by Bettman and the NHL.

And that statement is most certainly a D_B, over and over again.

Unless they get ESPN involved as is mentioned above, they just continue to pound nails in the coffin.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I stumbled across one of these Yahoo live feeds by accident but can't find a schedule of them. Is there a schedule somewhere?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe ESPN is about to buy Versus and turn it into the ESPN Outdoor Channel

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've got Dish and I get Versus. The downside for me is that I have an SD TV, so I don't get NHL Network. If I got HD, I would.

I don't think this is totally terrible news as long as the NHL pursues a second contract with ESPN. Why not? The NBA has contracts with TNT and ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted