1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Versatile sports writer/desker, Norwich, CT.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Norwich Bulletin is seeking a sports staffer who can do it all – paginate strong pages on Quark and be a key part of coverage of major colleges, high schools and participatory sports. The ideal candidate will be able to take a page from start to finish, including copy editing, design and writing headlines. As a writer and reporter, be ready to get beyond the final score to tell readers about the athletes, coaches and those off the field as well. Eastern Connecticut is a hotbed of sports, including UConn, the WNBA’s Connecticut Sun, minor league baseball and more. High schools are our bread and butter. Send your cover letter, resume and work samples to Executive Editor Jim Konrad at jkonrad@norwichbulletin.com. EOE, M/F

2. buddy of mine from college was hired here last year. first he was a sports copy editor. then he was the guy doing all the web stuff. then he was a print copy editor for the news side. said he liked it ok, but that the constantly changing schedules made it impossible to have a social life. guess that's to be expected in today's environment.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Did they ever hire for the sports copy desk job that was advertised last month? They also had a news copy desk job advertised, too.

4. sidelined

sidelined New Member

It's the same job as the sports copy desk position - just worded differently.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: GateHouse paper.

6. and the aa team is gone from there after this season. might get a ny-penn league club, but that's not certain last i heard.

7. Interesting you bring that up, because said paper just reported that the sale of said AA team is off the table for now. The Richmond group didn't have the money.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow, that's interesting. I always thought the Navigators (or Defenders or whatever the hell they are now) were doomed once the Yankees bolted for Trenton. And that park is a beast to get in and out of, buried deep inside that industrial park.

It's still a pretty nice park, though, so if the Defenders are sold, I bet Norwich gets an independent league team...Atlantic League or, more likely, Can-Am League. It won't make any money at all but at least the park won't go to waste.

9. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Anything here? this could be an interesting turnout.

Draft saved Draft deleted