1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vero Beach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Heading there in the morning. Any tips on restaurants, attractions, golf courses? Thanks.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm a Florida native, and I have been to Vero Beach exactly twice.

No idea what's left of Dodgertown now; should still be there even sans Dodgers. The beach is nice.

Not exactly a vacation mecca.

3. TwoGloves

My nephew just moved there. Going down to see him.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Vero is an extremely boring town, but Dodgertown has always been one of my favorite places. Go walk around there at least, if it's allowed.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Enjoy the beach and take it easy. Not a whole lot to do there.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Dodgertown itself has two courses, the Dodgertown course, which is 9 holes, and Dodger Pines, which is 18. Never played either.

When I was there last spring, I ate at a few seafood places north of town on U.S. 1 on the Intracoastal that were good. Try Capt. Hirams. Also had a really good pizza there. I tried to find the place on teh internets and I think it was Vic's Pizza.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Not sure what's all still there. Dodger Pines is a decent course, has (had) a 600-plus-yard par-6 hole and a sign warning of an alligator on the front nine.
    Bobby's 3 was the main Dodgers hangout bar on the beach.
    Dodgertown itself, if is hasn't been dismantled, is kinda cool. Street signs for their Hall of Famers, etc. and access was pretty open. That was one of the attractions of spring training. Fans could be pretty much anywhere outside the buildings. Probably not much there now.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

check out restaurant reviews by someone named diana foote or diane.. I think... she digs up some interesting places, and seems to know what she's talking about. she relocated there from the big apple

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I know it's not related, but I'll see you your 600-yard par-6 and raise you with a 741-yard par-5 in Indiana. Absolute beast.

10. Vero Beach is one happening place.

The hot spot in town is Chili's.

The only spot in town is Chili's.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I ended up honeymooning in Vero Beach 10 years ago (the place we were supposed to go in Virginia Beach was torn up by a hurricane two weeks before the wedding). Not a lot happening in town, but that's the way we wanted it - no skyscrapers casting shadows on the sand (at least then).
    We wandered over to Dodgertown one day, and the place was deserted - looking like something from a bygone era even then. The gate to Holman Stadium was open, and I wandered out into right field and took pictures. Fat chance that happens in the 9-11 era.
    I recommend the Marco Polo Buffet if it's still around. Greatest Italian and Chinese hits.

12. TwoGloves

What a dead town. Dodgertown is closed so are the courses. I drove up inside the gates but couldn't get far. The beach is nice however.

Draft saved Draft deleted