1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vermont weekly loses building. presses and almost everything else

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Aug 30, 2011.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Just got this from the Vermont Press Association. It concerns the oldest weekly in the state:

Just a quick note:

In case you have not heard the historic Vermont Standard in Woodstock has lost its newspaper office thanks to over six feet of water flooding its building.
    Publisher Phil Camp and his staff are scrambling to get a paper out this week.

His wife, Marilee, tells me the building is destroyed and will need to be replaced.

“Everything was destroyed,” she said.

The Standard is without phone service and internet connection. They are pulling things together as best they can, she said.

Even before we heard about the Standard and its building, Burlington Free Press Mike Townsend offered any Vermont newspaper – whether hit by the storm/flooding or not -- to use any Hurricane Irene stories, pictures, columns etc. that the Free Press staff has produced. This is a free service. (A credit line would be nice.)

Also the Deerfield Valley News is working to get put a newspaper. While Wilmington may be the hardest hit town in Vermont, Dover, where the newspaper office is located survived, but lost power, internet, phone service. That is all working as of Monday night.

Publisher Randy Capitani said he will need to drive to down to Massachusetts to get to the press in Bennington to be published.

The irony was that the Deerfield Valley News was able to send out pictures from a home computer for others to use.

I don’t want to speak for other newspapers, but much like when the Times Argus was flooded in Barre, Vermont newspapers stepped up and offered any help we could. This is one time when we can all help one another. We may compete, but we also know when to help each othe

I will keep you posted as we learn more. Apologies to any others that we did not get reports on.

Mike Donoghue

Executive Director

Vermont Press Association

Oddly, I interviewed with Mr. Ca,p last year, and had things gone a little differently, I could be there and not having time to send this note. ;)

Best of luck to them.

2. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

Best of luck to all in my old stomping grounds of Vermont.

Good to see Mike Donoghue is still much involved with the Vermont Press Association. He is a first class guy, even if he did go to SVC.

Draft saved Draft deleted