1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vermont about to pass GMO-labeling bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Apr 17, 2014.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I believe you answered your own question.

1: If people care enough about GMO labels -> They will demand them with their purchasing power

2: People demand things with their purchasing power by purchasing or not purchasing things.

3: It has become increasingly more [ed: redundant] difficult to purchase NON-GMO products.

4. Therefore, it has become increasingly difficult not to purchase GMO products.

5. GMO products do not have labels on them identifying them as GMO.

6: Therefore, it is becoming increasingly difficult to use purchasing power to demand GMO labels

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

how could you tell?

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I honestly don't even begin to understand the argument that companies shouldn't have to disclose GMOs in their labeling. I just looked at the back of a box of generic macaroni and cheese and it contains 21 "ingredients." There is a precedent of thoroughness and transparency, so what's one more line?

Also, those same companies contribute to the "alarmism" when they refuse to tell people about the supposedly harmless ingredients in their food. If there is truly no cause for concern, why the foot-dragging?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because by putting the label on a package, it implies that there is a cause for concern. People associate such labels with items like cigarettes and alcohol.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You probably understood the first snipped you quoted correctly, because the question in it was rhetorical. If people want products labeled that way, they could have long ago requested it themselves and used their purchasing power to demand it. That has never happened, obviously.

I really didn't follow your 6 numbers.

The second thing you quoted had nothing to do with GMO labeling. It was part of a different discussion about whether GMOs themselves may or may not be harmful. If your point was that I find it more and more difficult to find non-GMO produce because I am a minority in wanting it, you are quite obviously correct.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand logic. Put simpler: how might a consumer use his/her purchasing power to demand GMO labels if, in most cases, the only products available to purchase are unlabeled? Hunger strike?

7. The Big Ragu

Sorry, Spock. That isn't very logical.

The Brooklyn Bridge isn't labeled, "Not for sale," so I guess if I tried to sell it to you for a dollar, you'd see the bargain of the century.

We are discussing the most basic of things that people buy -- what they consume. ANYONE has the ability to question what went into something they buy with intent to eat. Most people don't, because they don't care enough about it. Not because the Vermont state legislature isn't helping them do what they could easily choose to do on their own.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Let's take the corporation-as-person approach, and keep in mind I'm not arguing for or against GMO labels, just against the illogic of your beliefs. You say you believe GMOs to be harmful, but do not believe corporations should be required to disclose GMOs on their labels. Let's say Person X has HIV: should he be required to disclose that fact to a sexual partner? Or should we allow the free market to work it's magic. Caveat emptor, baby!

9. The Big Ragu

I never said that GMOs are harmful.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If it is not logical, you should be able to disprove the deductive proof. Feel free to do so.

As for the rest...

The thing you Big Bad Government folks don't seem to grasp is that the Vermont legislature isn't doing something FOR the people...it IS the people. If the people don't want GMO labels, then they will vote in legislators who will repeal the GMO label act. Because the legislators are the people's representatives. It's just like the Bundy case: that land is your land, that land is my land, etc. I'd like my kids and grand kids to live in a country where there is some open space. I care more about the tortoise than Cliven Bundy's cattle. It's my land just as much as his land. It's your land just as much as my land. The government is doing my bidding by trying to make him pay. Why is that so hard to grasp?

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Every food item has ingredient labels. I looked at a can of root beer last night that very clearly said CONTAINS CAFFEINE. Was it warning me about something or just helping me make an informed choice?

If the law requires companies to print giant letters across the front of the package, or say that GMOs are harmful, your argument has merit. It's more likely we're talking about fine print on the ingredients label.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it's way more akin to an actual graphic label on the packaging than it is fine print on the ingredients label.

Draft saved Draft deleted