1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verlander, Astros block the Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Aug 22, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

What if a reporter gets caught in someone's locker?

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Seems like there's been some turnover among sports editors at the Free Press in recent years. That could be a factor.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

True. It's difficult for me to reconcile the disconnect between what I remember about the industry and what it's like now for all of you, sorry. The tumbleweeds rolling through most newsrooms should have been my first clue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

More fun tonight as well, I'll bet.

5. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

Visitors in the clubhouse, including accredited media members, should conduct themselves in a professional manner. There shall be no seeking of autographs, no touching or removing of equipment or personal items from lockers, and no sampling of players’ food spreads. Clubhouses are work places. Clubhouse business should be conducted as expeditiously as possible with a minimum of disruption of regular game routines. Members of the media should not excessively linger in the clubhouse when not interviewing players. Members of the media who violate the code of conduct set forth in this paragraph shall be subject to sanctions, including the loss of their accreditation as provided for in paragraph 17 below.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Right. So that puts to the lie the idea that "it's never okay" to ban someone from a clubhouse. My question is, where does eavesdropping and tweeting a private conversation fall? (If that's what in fact happened. I have no idea.) You could argue that a player should know better than to have such a conversation with reporters within earshot. You could also argue that a reporter should respect that not everything that's spoken in the clubhouse is fair game. I don't know where I land on it.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that if it was eavesdropping it was about something relatively innocuous. If the reporter had quoted Verlander on something controversial I think the quote would have surfaced by now.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Raymond Claiborne says Will McDonough would like a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted