1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verizon Wireless new pricing model

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jun 25, 2012.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Stories like that make me love my Virgin Mobile phone all the more. Just bought a new 4G phone. I get 300 minutes, unlimited data and text (think they start throttling after 3GB) for $35 a month.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Virgin Mobile sounds better all the time.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Want kind of call reception do you get with Virgin, especially away from interstate corridors?

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I have a plain phone, don't have the need for a smart phone. The more I read on these awful plans, the more I'm convinced to pay full price for a phone and go non-contract should I decide to get a smart phone.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I get great coverage in rural areas in Ohio. Only get their 4G in one of the three "C" cities, but I get 3G everywhere else, and I've never been without voice or had a call dropped.

I went with Virgin about six years ago, and have traveled to Oklahoma, Texas, New Orleans, rural ares in Indiana and Illinois, and Chicago several times off the top of my head since then, and I've never been out of range.

6. Before I took the plunge on a contract and my first smartphone, I had Straight Talk. It was a slidephone with full keyboard and basic internet. Best coverage area of any phone I have ever owned. With VM announcing plans for Iphone, and some of the smart phone options on Straight talk . . . prepaid is getting better and better.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It's settled. I'm going to Virgin Mobile.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I guess since I just picked up the monstrosity of the HTC 4G phone I got from Virgin a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been paying attention. I completely missed Virgin announcing IPhones. I wish I'd have waited, now. I may upgrade to an IPhone, something I thought would never happen, because I thought Virgin would never get it.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

FML.

I'm broke as a motherfucking joke. Depending on a friend paying me $60 that he borrowed so I can eat this week. And my dog just spilled my Pepsi all over my phone.

it's soaking in rice, but if that doesn't work, I either have to change my whole plan, screwing my parents and myself, or pay $500 for a new phone. Which I obviously don't have.

I have a job interview tomorrow in which I'm supposed to call the woman from the lobby. Hmmmm. Not sure how that's going to work now.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, IJAG, when I took my phone for a swim in the Pacific Ocean. It did not get along well with the salt water.

I wound up buying a basic Nokia phone for $20 at WalMart 10 minutes before I had to be at the airport for a cross-country flight. It didn't do anything more than make phone calls and send texts (press 5 three times for the letter L!), but it got the job done until I was eligible for an upgrade a few months later.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey the rice worked! Phone was fine this morning. I didn't have any white rice, so there's some random seasonings stuck in the ear speaker, but the phone works. Success!

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't know why I'm laughing so hard at this, but I'm glad your phone works.

Draft saved Draft deleted