1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

$30 voice plan (grandfathered in from years ago) + $15 data plan + $5 text plan + taxes - discount I get from my work having a deal with AT&T = less than $50 a month.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I switched from VZW to AT&T on January 4th. Since then I have had no dropped calls and no problems whatsoever with my iPhone. At first I was very reluctant and was considering switching back because I had the feeling of disowning a family member after being with VZW for almost eight years. But, I wanted a new phone and a discounted price. They wouldn't budge so I said screw it.

The only differences between the two are the obvious GSM vs CDMA along with things such as not being able to browse anything needing 3G/WiFi while talking to someone. Oh yeah, different antennae positions I believe.

My iPhone bill is cheaper than my blackberry bill from years ago.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This, except I wasn't a customer before the first name change. I've been with them since 2005 and have only had one issue which was completely my fault (I forgot to pay my bill on the date I had made a payment arrangement for, and they shut my phone off). And my phone rarely drops calls, unless I'm in the middle of nowhere.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Wow. I have Verizon and I checked out the website today because I was pondering a possible iPhone. The cheapest plan I could come up with was something like $40 for talk, $30 for internet and $10 for texts (there's a $5 text option but I am a text whore and would need the $10 one). After taxes and fees it would be flirting with triple digits.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's what's great about Sprint's $69.99 plan. Unlimited data, text and phone.

And I don't have problems with many (if any dropped calls).

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I pay $135/month for two lines, with unlimited text and the cheaper data plan.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Any regular bill that exceeds $100/month in my house better be for a car or house.

8. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Except now that $69.99 plan is basically $79.99 because you have to pay a $10 premium data fee for all smartphones. You're off the hook if you were a customer before January 30. I'm still considering switching. I have Verizon and to upgrade would still be much more than $79.99.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I have one bar on my cell phone when I'm at home, so I hold out little hope that Verizon will ever make me happy in this regard.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Do. Not. Get. The. 3G. If you are going to go with an iPhone but you don't want to get the 4, get the 3GS at least. I had a 3G and as soon as they went to the 4.0 OS, I had all sorts of problems with the 3G. It would lag so badly, just when I was trying to check text messages or type. I had frequent app crashes. I couldn't figure out how to get it to revert to the 3.0 system. Eventually, they came out with an update that sort of improved it, but it wasn't near as good as it was on the 3.0 system because they didn't put enough RAM to support the 4.0 OS in the 3G model.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We switched from Verizon as well, but our plan is cheaper and the phone is better than anything Verizon had.
    The biggest reason we switched was customer service. Every time my wife or I went to the Verizon store, it was a hassle to get anything accomplished. They were even more rude on the phone.
    So far, AT&T has been great and the "bad service" has been unnoticable.
    Only problem I've had with it is my fat face sometimes pushes against the screen and ends calls.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It actually is the 3GS, but I'm now considering holding out until June when the iPhone 5 comes out and the 4 comes down in price.

Draft saved Draft deleted