1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci with a darn good piece about A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stats almost all the time, tell the story better than anything.

And, Jeter's stats don't matter because.... well they don't matter....

Any of a half-dozen of his contemporaries win at least those four rings if they are at short in The Bronx. At least.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'll just throw this out there...

One of the reasons I don't mind A-Rod tacking on extra runs in the games he does it is because Torre has become increasingly paranoid with his bullpen. He has no trust for some guys and the individuals he does like end up pitching in well over 70-games.

On those days where A-Rod tacks up an extra 3-runs to a lead that is only at 2, I see it as a chance to rest those arms. If A-Rod doesn't score those runs, Proctor is coming into the game for his 100th showing.

Those early runs increase the likelihood that be bullpen will be used with less urgency. So, he should definitely keep them coming.

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Has anyone seen a physical copy of the issue?

There is a glaring copy editing error IN THE OPENING PARAGRAPH. Yikes.

4. FWIW - I spoke with an uber Yankee fan yesterday who believes that Aaron Boone playing basketball is the worst thing to happen to the Yankees in the last 5-years. Not defending his beliefs but I will say that they were unshakeable.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I find it amusing, and puzzling, that people cling to the perception that Rodriguez has posted a .927 playoff OPS with six homers in 31 games and none of those hits carried any significance.

Jeter has his great playoff moments. He also went 6-for-44 in the 2001 LCS and World Series. He hit .200 when the Yankees endured the greatest collapse in playoff history against the Red Sox. Jeter is a good player who has benefitted from great opportunity.

6. Hey Columbo if this is true then what the hell do we need sportswriters for in the first place?

I don't necessarily disagree because I read the Stats boxscores more often than the Boston Globe during baseball season.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

IN THE OPENING PARAGRAPH??????

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure they can't recall the issue at this point.

You can tell us now and and be safe in the knowledge you will still be able to preen around when it actually hits the stands, saying how if only they had hired you, they would have been saved!

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Let's put it this way.... we'd be worse off without box scores than we would be without sportswriters.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

That detail about A-Rod answering his hotel room door at one in the morning wearing a pressed suit and tie... That's the shit that makes a story. Good stuff.

10. SI's Tom Verducci has a podcast on the front page of espn.com.

What's that all about?

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

C'mon, goalmouth. Verducci doesn't hit all of them out of the park -- who among us does? -- but this one is pretty damn good.

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Huh? Whatever. Just saying for a piece they knew was going to get major pickup, you'd think at least the opening paragraph would have been without error. While not privy to the SI copy editing process, our guess was about editors read this story before it went to print.

And yes, everyone makes errors, nobody is perfect, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted