1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci with a darn good piece about A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Not really. It's not sabermetrics to suggest Rodriguez is a great player. That's obvious with numbers or without. The numbers reject the myth that he doesn't hit when it matters. There's no way to prove it except to use numbers, so people who don't like Rodriguez reject numbers like they're pulled out of nowhere or not trustworthy.

You know what's not trustworthy? Perceptions based on observation and memory.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

How quickly everyone forgot that in order for the Yankees entire team to choke in 2004 against the Red Sox, A-Rod needed carry them past the Twins.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

How do you know Rodriguez carried the Yankees past the Twins? If it's based on his great numbers, I'm skeptical. If it's based on a fuzzy memory from two years ago, I agree completely.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Have no fear. It is based on fuzzy memory from two years ago!

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, it was still the Division Series. We all know Division Series stats don't count. It's the LCS and WS that really matter. Except when Rodriguez doesn't play well in the Division Series, then it's the sole measure of a player's ability and "clutchness."

Tune in later when the standard changes again to suit the argument.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's the thing... the shifting paradigm.... of what productivity is when it comes to one player.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

He could have, well, umm, done something at least remotely manly in that situation. That was the faggiest looking thing, and you have to know something like that done by him will get beaten to death. And then to cap it off, he's standing on second base holding his arms out as if he didn't do anything and can't believe that he's been called out. That's a typical A-Rod move, the display at second more than the slap.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Please tell me the sarcasm font was on heavy right there.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It all comes down to this country's homophobic core, doesn't it?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Being a die-hard Yankees fan I will admit it is normally sacreligious to call out Rivera, but in reality you can say he literally costed the Yankees more postseason series than ARod.
    1997 - Sandy Alomar home run.
    2001 - horrendous throwing error and Luis Gonzalez hit.
    2004 - Two blown saves during the Red Sox comeback.

Now Rivera has obviously been amazing the rest of the time, but if the board is only going to look at ARod when he sucks, how about only looking at Rivera when he has struggled in the postseason?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I mean, he has had some awfully high-profile blowups. Face it.

12. OK, so now explain to me how so many of the same people who believe that steroids is absolutely the most serious existential crisis that our nation ever has faced, and that those who do them should be set adrift in a small boat for all the damage they've done for the Children, accept the "Even though the BALCO revelations" formula for the redemption of juicehead Jason Giambi in this piece. The one thing for whihc I do not respect ARod is that he hasn't already kicked Giambi's well-punctured ass all over the Bronx.
    So if Barry Bonds had made nice-nice to his teammates and apologized, he'dbe a great clubhouse presence etc. etc.
    Makes me think Whitlock's onto something here.

Draft saved Draft deleted