1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci story on umpiring in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Mar 28, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Him being a manager for one game would be interesting. Just picture him (or one of us) having to decide the batting order, who's starting on the mound, which guys to use out of the 'pen & off the bench, going to the mound and accurately gauge how much the pitcher has left in the tank, a host of other in-game decisions and after the game, face the media and defend all your decisions. That would probably the best part of it: the media member having the tables turned on him.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'm sure someone would let him do that. I could see Bobby Cox agreeing to it, or Bochy. Hell, Ozzie would do it for sure.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

It probably would work best if he did that with a team that wasn't great, but not lousy, either. The Rockies, Padres, Devil Rays (even with all the head-cases in that organization) or Indians seem like they would provide a great deal of material.

Any other positions you guys/gals think Verducci could pull off a good story with? GM would be nice, but there's probably too much inside-stuff going on that he'd be allowed to fully report on.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/the_bonus/03/28/verducci.umpire0402/index.html

Here's a link. It's now the lead story at si.com.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think he's kind of run his course with just playing and umpiring. Managing one game just wouldn't make sense, all the minutiae about lineups, handling pitchers, etc., comes with knowing the team on a daily basis and he wouldn't have all that by just dropping in for a day or even a week. And a big-name slugger who's lounging in the dugout on a day off might tell Verducci to go F himself when asking him to pinch-hit in the ninth inning of a 9-2 game. There wouldn't be a cloak of anonymity like the umpiring gig (as someone said before, one of the best parts of the story was JD Drew not knowing he was a reporter).

GM wouldn't work, as PhilaYank said. And, no, SI wouldn't want him mowing the grass and chalking the field. But hey, nothing wrong with stopping after what he's done. They were both excellent stories.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I really enjoyed this piece and it was a perfect example of how using first-person works... and works well.

I put this up there with his story as a Blue Jay a few years ago. Both were very well done...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked both Verducci's story and GArrity's piece on Tiger.. good issue, but as said elsewhere, Reilly was weak.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Very well done, and interesing to hear about the bits casual watchers wouldn't ordinarily pick up on like focusing on the player instead of the ball on pop-ups.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think I enjoyed the Blue Jays story more, but that's not a knock against the umpiring piece. One, I was just impressed that he could get a bat on major league pitching. A straight change would be too much for me. But more than that, the Blue Jays piece did a great job of capturing the wonders of playing professional baseball, a dream that I'm guessing every ball-playing schlub like myself had at one point.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think these stories are just an excuse for Verdooch to look bitchin' in uniforms. He's got the shades and everything.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The part about making sure not to track down batted or thrown balls? That may be the hardest thing on the diamond, or any other venue, when you're officiating.

If you have ever played the sport at any level that you are officiating, you will have that instinct at first. You want to get in front the grounder or camp out under the fly ball, but you have to make sure you get in position and watch that players and not the ball.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

this was an amazing fucking story. To get the access and to have the power of recall to write such a well-detailed story...wow.

The third graph, and the first two sentences of the fourth graph, are flat-out perfect. Some of the most wonderful, evocative writing I've ever seen, and his description of the beauty of baseball dovetails so perfectly with the reality of umpiring.

Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted