1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci story on umpiring in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't have a link, but to those of you subscribe anyone check this out yet? Excellent piece, very well-done. I love these type of pieces for the insight (Verducci umped a spring training game between the O's and Red Sox last week and detailed it) and for the anecdotes, Manny running buy saying "Heyyy, que pasa?" and JD Drew having a serious rules discussion with Verducci, not recognizing that Verducci was both not a real ump and one of the more high-profile writers in the game.

I know SI gets dumped on a lot around here, and rightfully so; they're the top dogs in the biz and should be held to a higher standard, a standard they haven't consistently lived up to lately. But when they do something well I have no problem pointing it out, and this piece certainly was a great read.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'm waiting until my painfully slow postmen deliver it, but I can fwd it to anyone who doesn't get SI.

I'm on record saying Verducci is the best sportswriter working today. He does five-fold the work of any columnist, his writing is always crisp and insightful, he's neither stodgy nor awkwardly trying to be hip.

3. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Verducci is just excellant.

As a Newsday reader, I miss the days when he wrote about the Mets and Yanks. Wish he hadn't moved onto bigger things.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Maybe you should have organized a rally -- "Save Billy Gillispie" style -- to try to get him to stay?

5. I agree. The amount of work that guys does is friggin' mind-boggling.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's always struck me as a good guy, too. Some might say an excellent guy.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

a most excellent guy. 8)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tremendous story. Enjoyed it even more than the "I was a Toronto Blue Jay" story from a couple years ago. Gotta think that getting permission to umpire a game took a helluva lot more wrangling from MLB.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I can't say I thought it was better than the Blue Jays story, but it's right up there. An A+ after an A++. Although I agree the amount of wrangling required was impressive, but you get rewarded when you do things right for so long.

10. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

He's a good writer and a very good person, and it's a great idea for a story. So now he's suited up as a player and as an umpire--what's the next step? Would he work as a coach? On the grounds crew?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

First-person stories are hard to do because readers don't really give a shit about your ability and what-not. But Verducci has done two excellent ones, by making only a sliver of it about him. The anecdotes and insight into umpiring was fantastic.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was in SI, but the grounds crew angle has been done to death.

Draft saved Draft deleted