1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci rails on cranky old blogger Chass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Dec 7, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm playing extreme devil's advocate here, but unless the Hall releases the full vote roster and we can all see if it matches up with the total that was announced, should Verducci (and Palmer) be believed 100 percent? I have no reason to doubt Verducci, but this is one systemic problem with a secret ballot.

I believe this happened a few years ago in the college football poll when one coach said he voted a team No. 1 and USA Today looked and said, uh, no you didn't.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5709254/tom-verducci-did-vote-for-marvin-miller-despite-what-crazy-old-coot-says-on-his-cryptoblog

UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal tracks down Murray Chass:

Chass, who was out of the country while reporting on the story, told the Daily Fix that he regretted reporting on Miller's error and will address the correction in his next column. "Had I been home, I would have called Verducci and asked him the pertinent question, just as I would have tried reaching … others who might know about the voting," Chass wrote in an e-mail. "I have made a career out reporting accurately and don't like being wrong."

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, good for murray.

any one of us who prides ourselves in aatccuracy, for credibility's sake, should appreciate that murray sincerely feels awful about the error. reassuring to see that even 'bitter old hacks' don't like to get it wrong. wish many of today's blogmeisters had the same standards.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if he would have called if he was home, then he should have waited until he was home. This wasn't exactly breaking news that needed to be on Murray's blog urgently.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So strange to have the formal reporting directly in there with the first person.

"Then I, 44, thought to myself that I was making too big a deal of all this, but declined to speak audibly to that extent."

7. mb

mb Active Member

So, too busy/occupied to call but not to busy/occupied to blog?

Huh?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wish he had their standards about the Cy Young Award.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agree.

And I have no problem with the way Verducci handled it. He had every right to defend something that was an inaccurate representation of him.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sadly, Murray is beginning to remind me of Dick Young: A guy who blazed a significant trail in his prime turns bitterly intolerant of a changing world.

11. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

An epic, spot-on takedown of Chass by JoePo:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/13/blogger-ethics/

“Tom Verducci wrote in his SI.com blog that contrary to what I wrote, he voted for (Marvin) Miller. I have no first-hand knowledge of that fact any more than I had of my reporting that he didn’t vote for Miller. The Hall of Fame does not disclose how its committee members vote. However, in this instance I will take Verducci’s word.”

– Blogger Murray Chass

I think we have all learned to appreciate the art of the apology in sports over the last few years. Lord knows we have had to hear a bunch of them. But I have to give it up to Murray Chass, a New York-based blogger, for inventing something that seems kind of new and promising: The snide apology.

Last week, Chass blogged with “no first-hand knowledge” that my colleague Tom Verducci did not vote Marvin Miller into the Hall of Fame. He was thisclose to being right — if only he had left out the word “not.” Chass was apparently told this bit of falsehood by Miller himself, though Chass fully understood that Miller had had no more first-hand knowledge than he did. Also Miller is 93 years old, and he’s been through this absurd Hall of Fame ringer a few times, and he undoubtedly had some powerful emotions going. Miller has since apologized directly to Verducci. Chass has since blogged six paragraphs under the subhead “My Personal Journalism Lesson.”

I should say before getting into Chass’ lesson, that in the original post he did not just blog that Verducci was one of five Miller no-votes. He also blogged in detail about WHY Tom did not vote for Miller, throwing in this perky little judgment: “I’m not sure what Verducci, the Sports Illustrated writer, thought of Miller, but I know he didn’t think much of the job Miller had. When Verducci covered baseball for Newsday, the Long Island daily, he hated covering baseball labor. And when he did cover it, he wasn’t very good at it.”

Lovely. Now, Chass was obviously emotional about Miller missing the Hall of Fame — it seems that before he was a New York based blogger he spent some time working in the mainstream media and covered Miller. I fully understand this and actually feel empathy for his feelings. I was extremely emotional when a Negro Leagues committee did not vote Buck O’Neil into the Hall of Fame (but voted in 17 long-deceased players and executives). Still, to call someone by name without proof is not just a violation of journalistic ethics, it is a disgusting thing to do.

And then — there’s this pathetic non-apology. It’s funny, I was over at Baseball Think Factory reading a few comments, and a couple of people actually PRAISED Chass for this absurdity, actually thought he took responsibility for his journalistic atrocity. Are you kidding me? Have our standards fallen so far that THIS excuse for an apology can be viewed by anyone as taking responsibility? Tom Verducci went to the Hall of Fame, asked them if he could go public with his vote to clear his name, and then said publicly he voted for Miller. And Chass STILL blogs that he has “no first hand knowledge of the fact any more than I had reporting that he didn’t vote for Miller?” WHAT? You have Tom Verducci’s first-hand statement RIGHT THERE. He is the MAN WHO VOTED. He’s TELLING YOU what he did. And Chass is now blogging to us that he did “reporting” before to find that Tom didn’t vote for Miller? Last I heard, what Chass did isn’t called reporting. It’s called “assassination of character.”

But at least “in this instance” he will take Tom’s word. Bloody decent of him.

Later, while Chass admits that his reporting was shoddy, he makes clear that it’s the first time he’s EVER done shoddy reporting. Really. First time ever. At first he says that 99.9% of the time he reported with great fervor and ethics but he immediately makes it 100%. He has not been shoddy even one out of a thousand times. Yep, this is the very first time he has ever done anything like this, which, you know, is kind of funny because barely two weeks ago Chass blogged that Texas manager Ron Washington’s explanation that he used cocaine for the first time “defied credibility, but everyone bought it, never questioning the likelihood of a 57-year-old man using cocaine for the first time and being tested randomly at just that time.” Apparently, everyone is now supposed to buy that Chass, a man in his 70s, has for the very first time in his life “taken a shortcut.”

And what caused him to break from his perfect 100% record as a reporter? His words: “I was unable to (check reporting) because I was out of the country on vacation with no access to information, such as telephone numbers or e-mail addresses, for people who might have known.” As a father, I am growing used to hearing lame excuses. But I would hope that my nine-year-old, at least, would have already known not to use something that lame. If Chass was out of the country and on vacation, he shouldn’t have blogged his false post in the first place. And the only email that seems to matter to me is Tom Verducci’s — and that one’s not hard to find.

I’m not saying this was the worst apology of the last few years because there have been some doozies. I’m just saying that it’s a good thing most bloggers have higher journalistic ethics than Blogger Chass.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Chass invented the snide apology?

Draft saved Draft deleted