1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verb agreement with team names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by austinsportsguy, May 23, 2016.

1. austinsportsguy

austinsportsguy New Member

Sorry I keep referring to Reformed Hack as TampaTribune, but I'll catch on eventually.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Why not Giants start new baseball season? There's a lesson here ... almost ANY style/grammar question has a workaround. But Posey IS a Giant, whether you like it or not. LOL. But in other uses, never Giant fan or Giant catcher. As to the original post, Tampa Tribune is right. Totally depends on your paper's style. My old paper, ahem, treated all as plurals. The competition did the opposite. Neither was wrong, and consistency is the key.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I might have misinterpreted your question. Wasn't saying that at all ... the phrase "Giants baseball starts" would be correct, but I'd recommend recasting it if it sounds weird to you and others.

Bottom line: Use the plural team name as an adjective, and all other rules of grammar apply.

(And no worries about misidentifying me -- I guess my avatar is confusing to some folks, but I'm using it as a tribute to my alma mater, which died May 3 in a shameless sellout/takeover. I'll change it to something else on June 3, after the requisite period of mourning.)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Say what, now? Surely, you jest! LOL.

ALWAYS Wildcats boys coach. But again, always a way to rewrite. Wildcats coach, and work boys/girls into the story earlier/later. And easiest way to remember if it needs a possessive? If you think it should be Raptors' coach, would it also be Toronto's coach? Just take the city/school/etc and sub it out and see what sounds right. Not perfect, but neither is AP style, or English, for that matter.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

No need for an apostrophe unless you're using a definite article, such as "the Wildcats' coach." Even then, I think you could make a case for not using one in some instances, but I'd suggest erring on the side of grammar and doing what's, well, not wrong.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to ask. Who is Travis Clay? Lulz!

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I see my fair share of those too.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless your team has only one player, all team names should be treated as plural.

The sudden-death tiebreaker is it's shorter for the headline:

Heat win

vs.

Heat wins

Bronco77 likes this.
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

When in doubt, I'll never argue against a vote in favor of headline-friendliness after struggling to write one-column heads for all these years.

Previous shop used the "Magic wins" construction; my current shop uses "Magic win." Still find myself backsliding to the old way from time to time.

Ace likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At one of my former places we were forbidden from using that construction. And for good reason. It's long, sounds awkward and now you have do deal with apostrophes and maybe commas (does it need a comma aournd the coach name?). Screw that.

NO: ... said the Plodders' coach Heywood Jablome

YES: ... said Podunk coach Heywood Jablome

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, but if you didn't want to repeat a player's name (say, because it was in the previous paragraph a couple times), you might say something like, "The Wildcats' quarterback completed six consecutive passes during the winning drive."

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not to me. It always drives me nuts and it always will.

Draft saved Draft deleted