1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venus Dynasty?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Jul 6, 2007.

1. footballworld

footballworld Member

Venus Williams is playing for the Ladies Title for the sixth time in eight years

She has won 4 times.

Venus + Wimbledon= Dynasty

I thought Serena would have the better career of the two sister. I was wrong.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Without a doubt. Few tennis players will be remembered as such a powerful force -- both physically and competitively -- as Venus.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hasn't Serena won the career Grand Slam? I don't think Venus was won Down Under or in France.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

both, when healthy, are amazing.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's always been a good argument of who's better: Serena or Venus. I'll got with Venus for sheer power and intimidation over Serena. Serena does indeed have the career grand slam, but Venus has more career wins (although I'm sure she'd trade some of said wins for another grand slam title or two).

6. KP

KP Active Member

She's won three times, going for a fourth. 2000, 01, 05. Excellent run, yes. Dynasty, not quite. She's still only won once in the last five years.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, not quite Sampras-like.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good, because nothing says Breakfast at Wimbledon better than gratuitious shots of Richard Williams in the stands.

9. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Guest

Not a dynasty, but a hell of a player when she's on her game

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, she needs to win this thing first, doesn't she?

11. KP

KP Active Member

Even if she wins, four titles with two coming in the last six years. Hard to call that a dynasty.

If she wins tomorrow, the Williams sisters will have won six of eight with Serena's two wins over Venus, so if you want to call 2000- the Williams Era/Dynasty, I'll buy that. But by herself, four in eight years isn't a dynasty.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Records going into Wimbeldon --

Venus 446-106 (81 winning percentage), 34 career titles, 5 grand slams (three wimb., two US Opens), 6 grand slam runner-up. Career earning $16,464,183....

Serena 335-69 (83 winning percentage), 28 career titles, 8 grand slams (two wimbs, two US, one french, three Aussie's), 2 grand slam runners-up. Career earning $17,790,522...

I think by these numbers you have to give the edge to Serena, more money won, higher percentage of matches won, more grand slams, though Venus has been in two more grand slam finals.

Draft saved Draft deleted