1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venturing an actual US soccer discussion, rather than overly emotional, thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sumbitch has never lost a game, has he?
    If arrogance was cash, he'd be the richest man on the planet.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

You got that right. He makes Bobby Valentine look like a self-doubter.

3. Re: Venturing an actual US soccer discussion, rather than overly emotional, thre

OK, so I don't claim to be a soccer expert nor will I ever claim to be. But I do feel like I know a little bit about the game and this is my take on today's happenings:

I thought clearly the Czechs controlled the midfield. They never let runs start by stepping in front of weak passes or tackling around midfield.

I think that as the Czech's packed in the box after scoring, I believe it was the second goal, the U.S. — I refuse to say we, because I didn't play — continued to try to chip the ball into the 18 looking for headballs, one-timers (hockey reference, don't know if it works in futbol) and whatever fluke play they could get. But at the same time, they were chipping the ball in with some open space from about 30 yards out in the middle of the field where they could have let some rockets fly. There's no way, with six or seven Czechs who both are taller and outweight the U.S. that chipping the ball in is going to work. I'd rather take my chances that a player in the World Cup can find one of the four 90s of the goal from 30 out.

Early in the game, prior to the 2-goal deficit, even when Convey was getting some room to cross the ball, there was nobody making a move toward the goal. Only in the second half when Johnson went sliding past Cech and just barely missed the ball did they make any noise on crosses.

I thought, as everyone else, Donovan completely disappeared in the first half, but in the second half, as it seemed he dropped more back to the midfield, he got a little more involved. He had the one run where he got tripped up about 50 yards out, which was likely the U.S.'s best run, sad as it is to say.

I didn't think Keller was all that bad. The only thing I felt he could have done differently was on the first goal I think he could have gone after the ball knowing there was no way the U.S. was going to outjump Kollar? on the header.

I also continually got sick and tired of watching the U.S. drop the ball back into the defensive zone, only to blast one up the field, much like a hockey dump and chase. It seemed like they gave up too easily on the offensive push and were content to play boom ball out of the back.

It looked like a complete lack of energy and intensity on the U.S.'s part.

My $0.02.

4. suburbanite

Re: Venturing an actual US soccer discussion, rather than overly emotional, thre

I agree. And to me, that always falls on the coach, at least to some extent.

Like your handle, btw. Right up there with Hammer Pants and Game of Shadoes Stevens.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Did Arena say something wrong by calling out Landon, Beasley and Keller? Fuck it, I would have called out everyone but Reyna, who I thought played OK. That was by far the worst performance of the World Cup for any team.

Like I said on another thread, my brother and I watched a tape of the 1990 5-1 loss Czechoslovakia handed the USA on Sunday night. Compared to today's game, the Yanks showed more heart, grit and creativity in that loss than they did today. That says plenty about how piss-poor they played today. And absolute disgraceful and embarrassing performance.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Re: Venturing an actual US soccer discussion, rather than overly emotional, thre

Every time it cuts to Arena on TV he reminds me of some overbearing prep swim coach ... maybe worse, an overbearing kids swimming travel team coach ...

7. suburbanite

No, he's not wrong. They sucked. But how he gives himself a free pass is beyond me.

They weren't ready, and that's on him. Simple as that.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Anybody seeing a blowout when they face Italy. Sort of similar to the Germany blowout that they delivered to Saudi Arabia in the last World Cup (The score was 8-0).

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nope. It'll be 1-1. Italy is going to play tenative because they aren't in desperate need for a result. We are VERY deperate for a result, will attack and will get a borderline fluky goal just by having the run of play, but our inherent incompetence will allow Italy to equalize and knock us out.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Why is he out of position, Crass? Why not Bocanegra? Lewis was responsible for the first goal. He was nowhere near the left flank when Keller punted that ball. The obvious truth -- he forgot he was a defender. He was going upfield to collect a header that, theoretically, would come back from McBride. That's not his job.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

True enough. I was just picking out some of the obvious things that stood out during my drunken stupor. There was a lot of blame to go around for that one.

Hopefully, the US can pick it back up and move forward. They need a win in the worst way on Saturday. So, forget about this game. It is all about strategy for the next one.

I saw Ghana cutting through and coming close with a few shots. Their problem seemed to be that they didn't capitalize the way they should have. They couldn't shoot worth a damn. Let's see if the US can reverse the tide and put forward a worthy effort.

12. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

Repeating some of the things I wrote on another thread:

The United States was a tacitical mess, mostly because Donovan and Reyna are incapable of creating scoring opportunities for others. They don't know how, or just won't, make the diagonal pass to free Convey or Beasley to run onto the ball and make a cross to McBride, who makes his living for Fulham in the Premiere League by heading the ball into the goal. He's one of the best in the world at it, and he didn't get one serviceable ball all game against the Czechs.

Gooch was responsible for all three goals yesterday: he was in no man's land on the first cross, not covering the post nor picking up a man, he didn't clear the ball far enough (although it would have been nice to have one of the five midfielders for the US to come back and help), and he failed to tackle Rosicky on the third goal. Plus, that stupid foul he committed in the early minutes -- which resulted in a yellow card -- scared him into playing meekly.

The US won't get out of the group. The Italians and Czechs already have three point. The US players say they only need four points to make it through. I don't see how that'll happen. The Italians and Czechs already have three each. If the Italians tie the US, that gives them four, and they win on goal differential. The Czechs are sure to pick up at least one more point, giving them four and putting them through. The US is done. Arena should bench the old guys, play the young guys, and see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted