1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ventura County Star will now be produced in ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Feb 10, 2010.

1. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

At this point, would you put it past them?

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

The Scripps Texas papers have one of the worst designs I've seen in a long time. It's really a shame, looks kind of like a crayon box exploded on their page fronts. I bet Ventura ends up looking just as bad.

I would laugh, if this were posted in The Onion, because it would be funny, but sadly it's the truth

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've seen worse.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I've seen a shit ton better, too.

It's just not a good design.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just heard from a friend in Ventura.
    Said a 30-year newspaper career will end with the May layoff. Not going to Texas.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That Corpus layout could use another photo to pep up the page.

7. The Shrubberer

The Shrubberer New Member

Sadly, all of the papers produced in Corpus will use the same look. According to a friend up in Ventura, even the eastern bloc of newspapers, aside from the Appeal, will take on Corpus' look as well, even though they won't be located in Texas.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Got this info from a friend in Ventura this week:

I learned last week that my job at The Star will last a couple of more months. Frankly, I'm not surprised. When the copy desk was informed we were being laid off, our editor thought the date would be in May. Now we will be kept on until late July or August. That's good, but for the copy desk team on the sports staff it also adds a heavier burden to the one we are already carrying. While the news side copy editors are still at full strength, sports is down one person. The Star also laid off our sports editor shortly after the company informed the copy desk of the layoffs and the sports editor also did five desk shifts a week. With three people carrying the load of the sports desk instead of four, that's a heavy burden to carry. Now we have to carry it three more months. We were also informed that only five employees combined from The Star's three West Coast papers opted to go to Corpus Christi. No surprise there.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

fuckabunchaScripps [/survivorofa2005purge]

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side. Corpus is the headquarters of Whataburger, and there are like 30 of them in town.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One for each Scripps employee, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted