1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ventura County Star will now be produced in ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Corpus Christi. My feelings about Scripps are obviously well-known, but this is absolutely insane. This is worse than LANG consolidating all their production in one place for multiple papers. At least they were still in the same market. But Scripps was nice to at least let those affected in Ventura to apply for the jobs in Corpus Christi.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/02/news_desk_massacre_in_ven.php

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lordy, I guess Corpus was picked because they aren't a union shop, but Scripps has at least another paper in California and I think a couple more on the west coast, why not consolidate them or something and at least keep the operations in the Pacific time zone.

3. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The other Scripps papers out West (Redding, Kitsap) are part of the same plan. Undecided at this time is the East operation. Knoxville or Treasure Coast (Stuart, Vero Beach and Port St. Lucie) will be in charge of a design desk for all the other papers (Evansville, Anderson, Naples) except Memphis. At this point, Memphis is alone.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

another reason why pulling out of consideration for a job in corpus was the right move. more-tenured people at other places would likely have pushed me aside (after me moving hundreds of miles) despite the assurance to me that all the changes were done. sometimes a missed opportunity is for the best.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

THIS JUST IN ........

Scripps has announced they are moving all operations to Mars. Currently employees are encouraged to reapply for their jobs. Company will not pay for relocation costs but will provide space suits.
    Laugh all you want, but if these morons could find a way to do it and save a nickel, they would.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No one's laughing.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

You guys are missing the reason this is so perfect. With the two hour time change, all the desk people in Texas will have time to put out the Ventura paper after they get off deadline with their own paper.

Just kidding.

I hope.

8. Don't laugh. You're probably right.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You could've said Bangalore and I wouldn't have been stunned.

11. Faithless

Faithless Member

Memphis is looking at moving its printing operations about 110 miles to Tupelo, Mississippi. Even though the linked article is from July, I believe the plan is still being considered.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TheDailyBuzz/archives/2009/07/16/union-says-commercial-appeal-considering-outsourcing-printing-to-tupelo

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Have you seen the colsigs they're using in the Scripps papers in the redesign?

Holy fucking mother of God.

Draft saved Draft deleted