1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venting, or the United States Postal Service is worthless

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 29, 2011.

1. This compared to losing $4 billion a year? I think some changes are in order.
    Don't think it will be privatized in my lifetime though.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I paid for delivery confirmation, but none were ever confirmed delivered. Sorry for the confusion. Basically, when the package gets delivered, you can check online and it will tell you it was delivered and when. I mailed via media mail, since they were textbooks.

I hate that place so much. I was talking to the USPS manager the other day, when I first posted this, and she basically said that once she puts it in the box under the counter, they lose track of it until it magically arrives at its destination. Their machines read addresses and sort, human hands don't touch it, so it could have ended up anywhere.

She said I should have purchased insurance. I asked why, are you so unconfident in your abilities to do what I paid you to do that I have to pay extra just to make good and sure it gets done?

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A friend of mine is a letter carrier and we were talking about this recently. She doesn't think Congress will go for changing delivery days. For one thing, it would put a lot of carriers out of work.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

also for those who think the post office is a couple of years away from extinction, consider that in the business world, people still use the mail. i'm a lawyer and we still mail out checks and receive checks in the mail because that's the only way it's done. you'd think that major companies could figure out how to wire or direct deposit money into our account but it just doesn't work that way. likewise, with our vendors, they want actual tangible checks.

now having said that, the state in which i practice law still requires lawyers to serve pleadings and motions and papers by u.s. mail. in federal court cases, you serve electronically. but in state court cases you still serve by mail. once my state - and all others - agree that e-mail service is acceptable, the post office will lose a huge chunk of its revenue.

i guess my point is that it's going to be a lot more than 18 months before the USPS goes the way of the dodo.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Spoke to the USPS today... again. This time it was consumer affairs at their local big city office. They told me, in so many words, that I should have purchased insurance and there's nothing they're going to do about it. I hate them so much. Even purchasing insurance wouldn't have mattered, as this site and its comments proves:

http://consumerist.com/2009/05/usps-your-five-new-insured-laptops-that-we-lost-are-worth-74.html

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That really stinks. I am sorry.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've only had one issue with the USPS in the last 20 years, and it was a lost payment for a gas card.

But I've converted just about all my bills to automatic bank draft. I think I mail five bills a month at most.

Draft saved Draft deleted