1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venting, or the United States Postal Service is worthless

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

How many billions do they lose annually?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I got a birthday card with a check in it today. That's pretty useful.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

They'll pick a letter up at my house and deliver it anywhere in the US for 44 cents.

As soon as the free market can match that, privatize away.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder who the hell opens the junk mail fliers that stuff mailboxes weekly? I guess carpet cleaners and pet food makers must assume someone does, but for the life of me I can't figure out who.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the products we sell to businesses is a customized direct mail setup. We tell them that a 1-2% response rate is considered successful.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I open them. A deli and the car wash I go to have coupons in a monthly mailer I get. Saves me $$.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I found my dentist from a junk mail postcard.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

For years, I've been waiting for the USPS to try to attach postage onto email. That would set off the biggest citizen revolt ever.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For those who think the postal service will be gone in 15 years, think again. Inertia is a mighty powerful force, even in these times of huge deficits.

Just MENTIONING the possible cancellation of Saturday delivery causes seniors, direct mail advertisers and newspaper publishers whose papers are delivered by mail to go ballistic. And that's just one day out of six that mail is delivered.

Personally, I still like to send (and, once in a blue moon, receive) letters in the mail. It's still nice to get a handwritten card, letter or postcard.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Which magazine can depend solely on newstand sales and internet distribution to survive, let alone thrive? For better and for $8-billion-loss-last-year worse, that's why we need the USPS.

11. I usually come back to this argument when I start to complain about stamp prices going up, poor service, etc. It's still one hell of a bargain which you realize fully when you try and overnight something from UPS or Fed Ex and get the total. That being said, to me it always feels like they know they have a really good system in place, and everyone who works there or in front offices has the urgency of a greeter at WalMart. Way too uncaring, slow and pretty much "FU, what-do-you-want-me-to-do-about-it?" attitude across the board when anyone comes in with a legitamate problem.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You mean you paid for the delivery confirmation service, or you got confirmation of delivery?

I've never paid for that -- how does it work? I thought it was like UPS or FedEX in that you plugged in the number online and it told you where the package was. Sounds like I'm a bit off.

What rate did you use? I've sold many, many things on half.com and used the "media mail" rate and never had an issue. But I never went whole-hog and asked for proof, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted