1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vent about your bad days here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 7, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mom's got a scooter? Did she sell the Harley and trade down?

2. 1. My AC broke for the second time in five days.

2. I had to drop trou in a frigid doctor's office for a few minutes today while an attractive, young woman doctor looked up at me while she fondled my nuts ... and then asked me to cough.

I kept wondering if she knew about the shrinkage factor.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I haven't heard from HC since Friday.

Either France doesn't have the Internets or she ran off with some French opera singer.

4. I've heard those hot and heavy opera affairs only last a few days, JR. I'm sure she'll be back. :D

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yes, but she won't be the same. Couldn't help but think of Meg Ryan's line in that movie with Matthew Broderick ... "It's like Godzilla's tail. He could take out Tokyo with that thing." Sorry JR. I know that didn't help ...

Let's see. Today I sat with my mom at the hospital as they told her she needed to have cement injected into her fractured vertebra, and that because she he has osteoporosis, she'll more than likely have another one break at some point.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn. I didn't expect to lose like four different times on the first page.

You're right. My day wasn't that bad...or even that long, comparatively. Sorry, guys.

(The Purple Haze and the local brewery's white ale didn't change my mind, either)

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sidetrack: Is Abita selling Purple Haze to bars at a deep discount? Every bar and restaurant I've been to in the last couple of months that serves beer has Purple Haze, and almost all on tap. It's to this summer what Lennie's Sunset Wheat was to last summer.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was my day off, and I talked with a fantastic young man for several hours :D

On the negative side, my mom told me my resume sucked for any non-journalism job and I should redo it. :p

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My A/C has been slowly dying for the last week. I've lived in this apartment since June 1 and I think my A/C has worked for about a week of that entire span. First the pipes froze up, then some "repairmen" came in, told me it was leaking and turned it off and now they've surmised that it just needs to be replaced. Meanwhile, I get to spend afternoons outside covering Little League games in 75 percent humidity.

The only think I'm thankful for is that I'm not back in Kansas, because if I were in Kansas in July with no air conditioner, I'd be fried by now.

On a related note, I had a bad day last week that involved me spending six hours attempting to get my car titled and tagged in my new state, failing miserably because of the differences in what qualifies as a "title" in the different states, and then I sat in gum at a softball game and not only got it all over my pants, but all over my car seat and in a chair at my house.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you don't mean "gum factory"?

11. I must say that I have been have pretty good days. Others I know, not so great. Sorry about your day ijag. Hope the beers made it better.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Bump (and now a little nostalgic for IJAG and Dools)

But woke up this morning an hour late because my phone fell under my bed and I didn't hear my alarm. Then in my haste to make coffee and a lack of sugar in the house, I chose honey, which was fine. It was fine until I decided the spout was taking too long (I was already running late for work) so I opened the top and was going to try using a teaspoon to fish it out. Good idea until the spoon was too wide for the opening leading me to just tip some out. But the goopy sludge that is honey gathered more momentum than I anticipated and got a heaping pile of it in my coffee making it sickeningly sweat. With no time for another round, I left. Waze told me to take a way I never go only to get stuck in idiot traffic and stop lights. The kind of idiot traffic where the Tesla is trying to do 80 in a 55 and the pick up is doing 35 and the Honda is trying to turn into a park-and-ride parking lot. And did I mention the damned stop lights?

Well made it on the freeway with the usual Bay Area traffic. Not the East Bay or Peninsula traffic, but everyone trying to get into Silicon Valley traffic. The stuff I was happy to avoid when we were all on lock down and I could make the drive in 30 minutes where now it's taking me closer to an hour depending on when I actually leave. Being anxious about coffee that is starting to make me nauseous the more I drink it and not getting my usual round of "God, those guys are idiots. Why am I watching this?" Get Up! fix, I start to gun it down the freeway. Even swerve into the Car Pool Lane and pray there isn't a cop sitting under the overpass waiting for jerks like me trying to get around everyone. Get to my exit, which is conveniently located just before a major interchange as everyone and their brother are also just getting on to the freeway. Aaaaand I just miss the light. I watched helplessly as the green light of hope turned yellow and finally the Dante's entrance to hell warning red.

But I got to school just fine.

However, now I'm frazzled. On top of that, it's standardized writing test day. Kids have to write an essay and we already know our usual firebrands are going to be hotheaded because they have to do all the things they hate: Sit down and shut up; not have their phones; write. On the plus side, my partner hooked me up with less offensive coffee, so I thought I was going to be fine.

*He was not fine*

So our usual jerks get going to a rip-roaring start. Walking in late. Announcing themselves loudly. Talking over everyone. All while we're trying to test. We start nicely with the telling them to get to work. Then we start getting mad. Then we start getting really mad. By the end of the first half of class, I've kicked two kids out of the room and am gearing up for more. Then comes the disrespect and the fight continues.

It's a disaster.

Kids are being rude. I'm being ruder. I'm yelling at kids who aren't in my class. It's a mess.

Finally, we just take the good ones—who by now are looking for something sharp—to another room. Immediately, the quiet makes me want to cry. Looking at all the faces of the students who actually make me want to show up everyday is very zen. They look cheated and exhausted over what happened over the last five minutes. But it's quiet. They get to work on something none of them want to do but understand they have to get it over with. I thank all of them for being patient and trying. The room is zen. My blood pressure goes back to normal and I finally catch my breath. Again, I'm fighting back the tears looking at the students who just want to learn.

It's then I realize I left my coffee in the other room.

Draft saved Draft deleted