1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vent about your bad days here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 7, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So I'm sharing a condo with a cohort on the beat last week, a condo without internet access. So I use dial-up when I have to, otherwise I'm in the media center using theirs.

I had planned to use the wireless at the Orlando airport to send in my stuff for tomorrow's paper, since I'd be there nearly four hours before my flight took off. Except my work computer is freaking out, and won't recognize that I have wireless capabilities about 85 percent of the time. So I'm panicking, flight's going to board in 20 minutes, and no one will let me use their phone line.

Finally a nice girl (Melody at the InMotion in the B terminal at Orlando, if any of you fly through there and want to meet a nice person) let me use hers. So I'm sitting behind her counter, on the floor, furiously trying to send three files and talking to the desk at the same time. Get done, throw everything in my bag and run downstairs to board...except the flight's delayed an hour. Doesn't say that on any board upstairs (I looked when I went back up), only next to the gate.

OK, fair enough. I go back upstairs, call Melody's boss to praise her to high heavens, go get a drink at Outback, and finally get on my flight. Get to my car here at home...and the battery is dead. Stupid 8 a.m. flights and leaving my headlights on. So I call Verizon roadside assistance, and I'm told it will take 90 minutes to get someone there. Storm clouds are rolling in fast.

Luckily, the little courtesy truck from the airport comes around about 15 minutes later and gives me a jump. I call to cancel my thing with Verizon, and notice my low-fuel light is on. Now, I live about 20 miles from the airport, which should be just enough time to let the battery recharge while I drive...but now I have to stop for gas. I decide to hell with safety, and I put gas in while the motor's running. I'm not taking that chance.

I get home, shut it off, and it restarts. So I think I'm good. I'm home about 3 hours after I wanted to be, and now I'm going out for a much-needed beer (or four) with a friend from work.

Anyone else have a shitty day and need to get it off their chest?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got nothing. I had a great day. Sorry yours sucked.

3. lono

lono Active Member

I'm with Moddy on this one.

Though I'm familiar with the concept of a day that sucked, this wasn't it.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Worst day of flying yet. Got a pink slip, which ain't good. This shit is fucking killing me.

I'm with you, IJAG. FUCK BAD DAYS.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't even come close to topping this. I have a few friends who may be able to, but me? Not a chance.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Enjoy your bevy of beers, Miss IJAG. I'll be drinking cranberry juice in your honor.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I think my Achilles tendon is about to rupture.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Here's my beer, IJAG. You've earned it.

I'm on my fourth straight 12-hour overnight. That's not so awful, but throw in a stupid scooter purchase by my mother, an RN ... and you thought most RNs detested two-wheel motorized devices? ::) I want to tear her head off exclusively over safety issues. I know she'll be careful and will take all the precautions. But still ... one idiot on the road and I'm taking care of both of them. One is enough.

The interview I had this morning should be a good thing ... it went well, but I'm operating on about eight hours sleep total since I got up on Friday. To boot, a friend is being a real pain in the butt. Ugh.

Hoist a Mountain Dew for me, eh IJAG? Glad to hear things turned out OK for you. I hope none of the rest of you are putting up with too much crap.

Thanks for letting me rant - as usual.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Enjoy the beer. You deserve it...

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm on vacation til July 24.
    Just got back from the mountains last night, heading to the Shore Wednesday.
    Next week: Cooperstown.

Life is good!

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not nearly as bad as IJAG, because it didn't involve air travel, but I'm in the middle of working 13 straight days and have been trying to kick a cold/allergies/strep/whatever mess for the last three weeks. Oh, and I got pulled over for tailgating on my way to work, but it was just a warning.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I've worked a total of about 40 hours since I got back from vacation a month ago, and two of those hours were out on a fishing boat with a couple of football players for a story I'm doing on a fullback that wants to be a pro fisherman.

So I've got no complaints.

Draft saved Draft deleted