1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas to bettors: Please quit taking the favorite and the over...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 1, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You keep thinking like this and you'll end up broke.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. Errol Flynn dies, and he's below the fold while some guy who can't get the "Make Like a Tree" line correct wins some bets and gets the lead headline?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. "Oh, please. Stop fleecing us. Really, every Joe Schmo off the street is walking away with wads of cash. This is just terrible."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How come?

Sure, the odds are high. But few people made those bets, so there will be fewer winners.

Many, many more bet on the Packers, Pats, Giants, etc. And Vegas will have won all those bets.

Can't see how Colts winning would be any different than a 120-1, er, colt winning a horse race. A couple of people cash in their bets, and most at the track are losers.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's exactly right.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Love the modular layout too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Give me a break.

The books control everything; they set the line. They think favs (Packers, etc.) are going to get more run? Set a higher initial line then come down if there's no action. They've screwed up, deal with it. They lost a million? BFD, how much did those betters spend on meals, drinks, entertainment? The Niners were a juggernaut in the 80's; the books knew that and set huge lines which the Niners could not cover.

As for the stories that so and so never loses? In my experience, almost no one wins consistently; sure guys do well but I've met more successful bookies, then betters.

Nobody was/is crying when the bettors were/are losing their shirts.

8. poindexter

You have to be a damn good better to overcome 11/10.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can't overcome it.

Best you can do is get lucky a few times, count your winnings and your blessings and get the hell out.

10. poindexter

This site says, "BS"

http://www.wagerminds.com/blog/uncategorized/no-sports-books-did-not-get-killed-during-the-nfl-season-7340/

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting.

And, I have to agree, there's probably probably nothing Vegas book operators love more than an article telling people how they "lost" a bunch of money on NFL games.

They could never run an add telling folks how easy it is to win, but the LA Times just did it for them.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poor Vegas bookies. And I don't really believe a word of it. People are going to be out of the wazzu for the playoffs, and Vegas will win again, like always.

Draft saved Draft deleted