1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas it is: NHL expansion a go

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 14, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lesson Chris. Now we can see how financially successful those Sun Belt teams have been. Just wait until the Coyotes or Hurricanes leave. Coyotes are supposed to announce their arena plans by the end of the month.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Simple. You play 32 games against the opposite conference home and away, and 50 against the other teams in your conference. I realize the number of teams in each conference is different, but all that'll mean is three extra 4-game season series for West teams compared to the East.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have no idea if Vegas works as a market for the NHL or any any of the other major leagues or not, but I know minor league attendance has next to nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another new arena? I know the Suns arena was not a good hockey venue and the current place is isolated geographically, but it's got less mileage than Turner Field.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Las Vegas Slap Slots?

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The Suns also want a new arena. Coyotes lease expires at the end of next season and need a place soon.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Las Vegas Hookers. Two-minute minors.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just two minutes? You're not getting your money's worth ... :D

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Two minute minors? Will there be a dasherboard ad for the Poin Files?

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just trying to keep it real for those of you on the fringe who are just becoming aware of something that has been obvious for a year or two, despite Gary Bettman's wet blanket methods. And that $500 million expansion fee will help the stragglers little bit. Right, JC?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Let's hope Bettman runs a credit report this time.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've been to the Suns and Coyotes arenas in the past year. The Suns arena definitely has that late 80s/early 90s feel. Tiny concourses. Didn't see a lot of sky boxes.

Felt like I was walking around the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

The Coyotes arena is pretty nice, actually. Lots of room and open areas in the concourses. Being in Glendale isn't that far out of the way but if you're in tempe or east, you have to really want it.

On Las Vegas, I'm unconvinced it'll work. People in that city have access to world-class entertainment. An expansion NHL team won't exactly qualify.

Draft saved Draft deleted