1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas it is: NHL expansion a go

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 14, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have they said how they're going to handle the gambling question? Not that hockey generates much revenue, but it would be an interesting early indicator.

Seems better than even-money (gambling! ha!) that the Raiders are going there as well. They might even get there before an expansion team does.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that MGM jsut built an arena they can use for hockey. I don't know of any roadblocks.

The Raiders still need to find a site and finalize financing. Also, do the Raiders want to play in a 35,000 seat stadium for a couple of years?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A 31-team league would lead to some weird scheduling.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is Vegas really ready for two major pro sports. Strictly going by population it's a little bigger than Nashville and about the same as KC, but smaller than a lot of one or two franchise towns.

Vegas is different in a lot of ways though.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2.2M in Vegas metro, but an hour's drive from the Strip its nothing but cactus and spent Acme products. I can see travel packages from cold-weather cities and an appeal to snowbirds, but is that enough to sustain a team long term?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's mathematically impossible to write a schedule for 31 teams in which all teams play the same number of games, much less balance the divisions.

They have to add a 32nd team, and all the schedule/division problems magically disappear.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's the team nickname going to be?

I vote for Las Vegas Flush

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't the NBA have 29 teams for a long time and everyone played 82 games?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not if its unbalanced its not

NHL had 21 for years.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll jigger-rig it to work but the schedules will be fucked until they go to 32.

Draft saved Draft deleted