1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas Bookie: A-Rod Bet on Baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 11, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think we just went from a carrot to a kumquat.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, foof, I know it's not true.

I was using an example of another sports conspiracy theory that has nothing to do ... you know what, nevermind. It'll just sail right over your head.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Perhaps we should stop insulting carrots and kumquats...both of which are higher forms of intelligence than dumb_bastard

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I agree that there are some aspects to this "story" that are hard to believe including why a bookie would out a customer betting millions of dollars with him and why anyone in Las Vegas would need a bookie in the first place.

Nevertheless, before the bashing of the source continues unabated, consider how everyone in the sports media reacted to the first statements by Jose Canseco about steroid use in baseball. He was villified and ridiculed. And for the most part, he was proven to be - - right.

So, l'll say that I need a lot more real evidence of this "betting on baseball story" regarding A-Rod than is presented here by "Ianundercover" and a putative bookie in Las Vegas named "Red" before I start to wonder what the next chapter in the story might be. But just in case "Ianundercover" is the analog of Jose Canseco here, I'll refrain from dumping all over Deeper_Background for the moment...

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

deeper_background has earned the dumping not just with this thread, but with his history on this board. Jose Canseco also earned his dumping in many ways, including lying for many years about his own steroid use.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You haven't been around these parts very long, have you?

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Everytime Deeper Background is bashed, an angel gets its wings.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

While that might be from 2005, there's no way A-Rod quit gambling at stakes like that cold turkey just because someone told him to. He just found other ways to do it.

9. Inky_Wretch

What stakes? Maybe A-Rod bought into a $100 weekly tournament.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sure. He's playing five nights in a row in NYC's underground poker rooms (which I believe are now shut down anyway, or at least the ones around then have been) with Phil Hellmuth for a hundred bucks.

11. Inky_Wretch

Considering I've sat at a $3-6 table with Hellmuth, his presence changes nothing.

Those rooms used to (and still do) spread all sorts of games. You can get into tournaments for as low as $25 a pop. I'd wager they were playing tournaments (probably not the $25 ones) and not toting around $100k each for $500-1000 NL cash games.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I played in some of those rooms. The bigger ones pretty much died around the time of the A-Rod publicity -- it isn't illegal to play there, just illegal to run a game. But if the game is busted, the cops confiscate the money.

The games really do run the gamut -- I played in tourneys as low as $25 and a $1-$2 NL game. But there are also some crazy games -- a friend played $80-$160 NL where serious money was won and lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted