1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas Bookie: A-Rod Bet on Baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 11, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Wow. I'm probably going to hell for laughing at that.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Too soon?

3. I'd say yes if I weren't laughing too hard to post.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There are probably 100 other reasons I'm going to hell, so what the hell?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The last thing to go thru Josh Hancock's head, other than the windshield, was "well, at least I'm giving Armchair_QB an eternity worth of material."

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Selig 'very unhappy' Yankee star betting in illegal clubs, newspaper says NBCSports.com news services
    updated 1:36 p.m. CT, Wed., Nov . 2, 2005
    NEW YORK - Alex Rodriguez was cautioned by the New York Yankees that playing poker in illegal clubs could be dangerous and harmful to his image, according to a newspaper report.

On Oct. 2, the Daily News reported the star slugger had attended games at an underground club with professional card player Phil Hellmuth.

Playing at such clubs is not illegal, though it can be against the law to operate them, the Daily News reported.

The Daily News said that MLB officials are concerned that one of their top stars is possibly associated with an illegal gambling operation and hanging out with gamblers, who could be betting on baseball games, something that could get Rodriguez banned from baseball should he do the same. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/9896335/

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

For shame!

He's also used the broadcast of several games without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Playing cards in the poker clubs, at the zenith of the poker boom, means he's guilty of "betting millions" through a bookie in Vegas.

And, honestly, what kind of bookie spills the beans on a client like that? If A-Rod is "betting millions," then the bookie is making a ton off the vig. Why kill the golden goose?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Deep went almost six months between posts and now he is back - why lord why oh why oh why?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

His prison term ended?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Deep is Michael Vick?

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Because he won't pay out his losses like Mike Jordan?

Draft saved Draft deleted