1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Veep" on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Apr 22, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I caught the finale last night. I think they made a mistake by making "Kissing Your Sister," the second-to-last episode. The finale probably didn't stand a chance either way, but it looked particularly weak in comparison to the week before -- which was exceptional. It was a really good season, and the plot of the show is almost beside the point. The silly plots aren't what makes this show. But that is where the finale fell flat for me. I thought they got away a bit too much from being funny and clever in the last episode, and they concentrated too much on wrapping it all up plotwise with a neat little bow.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was talking with someone last night -- they thought having JLD announce that the show was cancelled as party of her Emmy acceptance speech would be cocky and awesome.

3. Webster

Any thoughts on this season? I think that the Dan and Jonah stuff has been great -- the Selina not so much.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Selina stuff has just been too much of a downer, even by the show's standards. I've always thought the show has been better when it portrays Selina as competent but craven, instead of a completely out of touch bumbler.

jr/shotglass and Webster like this.
  5. Webster

Exactly. She's better when she gets wins some of the time.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Still like it--and always makes me laugh--but it does seem like it's become a little meanspirited these past couple seasons, under the new showrunners. Also more frequently sacrificing characters or plot for a easy joke.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They pretty much removed any redeeming qualities in her. Still a smart show, but ...

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The best scene of the series was when Selina was walking through the village in South Sudan and the little kid came to the front of the line wearing a Jonah Ryan for Congress t-shirt. Well done, Veep.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, such an Arrested Development style gag. And it was one of the Jon H Ryan shirts too.

Also, they write something ridiculous for Jonah to do and then Trump does it. We will have a real government shutdown soon.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Jonah to be president.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He already has the bitchy First Lady.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's the perfect way for the show to end, and it's obviously headed that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted