1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Veep" on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As much as I love the show, I agree with that. A little bit of brilliance would go a long way with Selena's character. Not much ... maybe just enough that you occasionally sit back and say, "Well, whaddaya know."

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

She shows flashes of competence from time to time - Like when she finally does pick the VP, and shitcans her friend. But part of the reason I like Veep is that it shows the banal, boring and probably more accurate view of politics than, say, House of Cards. Veep, and Parks and Recreation's town hall / town meeting segments, are way more realistic (probably) than House of Cards and The West Wing and The Newsroom.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the last episode was the first hiccup in a while. Having said that, Richard and Jonah are such a great team and Hugh Laurie's character has finally shown some depth. Tom James calling Mike a "Fozzie Bear ripped up and used to smuggle heroin" and Kent a "Nazi doctor" were just priceless.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The previews show a congressional hearing. THAT could be 27 minutes of hysterics.

5. Webster

Interesting concept and very funny episode. I loved the intern who was fired, Mike lying about the knee cream, everything about Ben and Tom James describing Gary. The Jonah/Amy/Dan stuff was a little on the nose, but the couple of lines which Richard had were hilarious That guy cracks me up.

I assume that she wins the election next week.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

love to see the outtakes on this episode

Can't think of a funnier show on TV. Serious laugh out loud moments

8. Webster

I liked the episode a lot, especially the asides from Bill about going to jail. I hope they don't have Hugh Laurie as POTUS and JLD as Veep next year.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hear such great things about this show, my wife and I decided to give it a shot. Watched the first episode and don't think we laughed once. Does it get better?

10. Webster

It does get better, but within the same genre of rapid fire, cynical and vulgar humor.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I liked it from the beginning, but it does get better. Sepinwall wasn't wild about it at first, but just wrote a glowing review if the recent season.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted