1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Veep" on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Caught the first episode that starts Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the VP. It's not for everyone, but there were a few laughs.

Also started watching Battleground on Hulu, which is an Office-style show about a Senate campaign in Wisconsin. Low budget, but decent writing.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I liked it. Has Anna Chlumsky been in much since My Girl? I can't remember seeing her since that movie. She grew up just fine.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Decent first episode. It seems to be in the same universe as the "In the Loop" film. Anna Chlumsky was pretty much the same character in that one as well.

Tony Hale plays his part like Buster from Arrested Development. Not sure if that will end up being a good thing.

There might be two or three too many characters for the show to breathe properly. Really didn't like "the shit" guy.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Hopefully this will come to DVD as I don't have cable anymore.

I saw In the Loop a few years ago and thought it was really funny. I completely forgot Anna Chlumsky was in it though. She was also on 30 Rock a while ago.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Anna Chulmsky also had a recurring role in "White Collar" last season.

I've heard some pretty solid reviews about it, although nothing that's going to make me get HBO again just to watch it.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It just didn't seem that funny to me.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just fine indeed.

Liked the show a lot. Will definitely keep watching.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The tone was all over the map...I think it was going for Arrested Development-type humor, and failed terribly.

As a look into the world of Washington daily life, it was pretty interesting. But the obvious jokes just fell flat.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus has got to be the most talented of the Seinfeld bunch.

That said, the more I watch Seinfeld after having seen Curb, the more dead-on Jason Alexander appears as Larry David/George Costanza. I can easily imagine Larry David doing exactly the same thing.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. Obviously, he doesn't play it to the extreme that he does on AD, but he's very awkward and squirrely in Veep.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Glad to see Matt Walsh get a major role in something. He's been great in small doses in the Todd Phillips movies (including as one of Luke Wilson's office mates in "Old School" and especially as the ER doctor in "The Hangover").

And it was definitely jarring to see Anna Chlumsky not only "all grown up" but cursing like a sailor. Seems to have pretty good comic chops, though.

I liked it. Will definitely keep watching.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She's certainly the wealthiest. Thanks to good genes, she's worth more than Seinfeld and Larry David combined.

Draft saved Draft deleted